New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took a break from the water recreational therapy (Fishing) and hit a dairy farm that normally produces a bird every now and then.
A buddy and myself entered the fields a little before 0500. Twenty steps into the tree line we stopped to formulate a game plan. Surer than you know what :mad: there is a bird roosted in the tree 10 yds from us!!! We backed off set-up the decoys and let the sunrise. A little while later, and after some mighty fine turkey talkin' by your's truly, I hear crash and see a coyote had just gotten a mouthful of plastic decoy and not feathers. He was no more than 10 feet away from Nugbuk as he ran by. Well now the turkeys have had just about enough of this nonsense and a short while later took off for parts unknown. Turns out we stumbled into a roost area of about 8-10 birds.
The moral of the story... it pays to put the birds to bed!! Well nothing ventured nothing gained and the coyote deal was something I thought I'd share with you guys..
Til next week...
Over and out!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Cool story man. Is coyote open in NY? I know it's open year round in Maine. I'm bringing my mini-14 up there this summer for that reason.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know? I've gotta check the reg book. I tell you what though you would have to be one helluva good shot to hit a running coyote!! I'm sure the rapid firepower of your Mini-14 is up to the task. I've always wanted to target coyotes and I think next winter I will. We'll probably be attacked by turkeys!!!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks... I am gonna give it a shot next winter. If nothing else it will provide a cure for that dreaded late Feb. early March cabin fever. And generally speaking I think people will give permission more readily for coyote hunting than deer hunting. It always helps to get a foot in the door.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
Good story.I killed a coyote in Florida last month.Down there the birds are alot quieter because all the coyotes...According to the landowners,they are becomming a nuisance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts