New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my new club this AM and met my hunting partner Howie. We've been hunting together for about 8 yrs now. Met some of the club members, all seem to be nice and helpful. Got some tips on where we can find some woodcock when the flights start coming down. [up]
The club has fantastic cover although presently it's a bit lush and thick. That will get better with a frost or 2.
Birds were plentiful and we both limited out quicker than we both had hoped to. Oh well, I'm sure there will be days when we will not be so lucky.
I like to take credit that our quick bag limit was due to The Girls and their noses. I think we were the first 2 done. [ko]

Here are a couple of pics of Reba (lighter one) and Dixie. Reba is 7.5 yrs old while Dixie is 5.5 yrs old. They are full sisters and are just awesome bird finding machines. :D

There are 4 birds as it is the total take for both of us. There is a 2 bird limit as the club is not semi wild.

Reba/Dixie and the birds.

The birds and my 16ga. Merkel.

Looking forward to getting out there tomorrow AM again.:D

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
great pics ,great time and great dogs i think you covered it ,congrats[up]

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any Grouse?
I doubt will see any in this area. All flat land in the onion field area of Pine Island/Goshen, NY. The woodcock come into this because of the river and wooded area around it. At least that is what I am told. We'll see in about 2 weeks or so.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Great way to start out Tom, good to see your still with Howie. Please send him my regards. Good luck to both of you this season....

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
[up]

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
T -

Didn't see woodcock yesterday, just a lot of sign. I imagine the opening day crowd may have moved them around on Thursday. I took these two out of public land in Orange County in the afternoon:

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What kind of dogs are they?
They are Drahthaars.

I took these two out of public land in Orange County in the afternoon:
Not familiar with all the public lands but I know we're in Orange County. Goshen/Pine Island. Any public land in that area that is stocked?

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Got to love that NY opens a month earlier. Nice shooting.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Got to love that NY opens a month earlier.
2008/2009's $55 non-resident SG license was a bargain for what you got and how long you could hunt for. The $30 increase this year has me boondoggled but if it's to keep in place pheasant stocking efforts among other things, I can deal with the increase. I've been hunting NY since the mid-70's, so it just seems unnatural for me to not buy a license every year.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts