New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New York has finally changed the opener of the firearm deer season from the traditional and outdated Monday to a Saturday.

I really think that NJ should do the same. This change would entice new hunters as well as younger hunters to try the sport. In an age of dwindling hunter numbers, anything that brings new hunters in our ranks is a wonderful thing. As for me, I mostly bowhunt, but I would strongly support such a proposal. Any thoughts?

B

·
0 Posts
Im so use to NY opening on a MONDAY, I would go up to our camp on SATURDAY, set my treestand up, and relax allday SUNDAY, I guess I have to change my ways. As far as NJ goes, I'm not sure if I would be for that, I would have to think about it some more, but you do have a very good point Stealthy, I guess it's something that could be looked into.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
As a new hunter, Ill tell your from first hand experience I would have got my firearms hunting license last season if I didnt need to take a day off from work for the opening day. Number 2, in our growing world of inflation and rising taxes, new people can barely afford to live in new jersey while working two jobs all week. So taking a day off from work to hunt although may be a tradition and some may hold more sacred than work is just not cutting it anymore financially. I know the fish and wildlife division holds youth days to inspire young people to hunt but why not allow first time licensee's to be granted permission to hunt on that day as well. This way the veteran hunters could introduce the sport the right way to new above 16 year old hunters and not miss their own opening days.

Dennis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts