New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O'BRIEN: Joining me now to debate the issue of kids hunting, rock star Ted Nugent, who is an avid hunter, has written extensively about it, and one of the people we just heard from in that piece, Heidi Prescott of the Humane Society.

Ted, let's begin with you.

What is the appropriate age. It's 16 for driving, 18 to vote, 21 to drink. What about hunting?

TED NUGENT, GUN RIGHTS ADVOCATE: Well, I started the Ted Nugent Camp for Kids charity, Miles, many years ago.

And we have proven, statistically, what the report just said on your show there, is that it's safer for kids to go hunting than to go skateboarding or camping or canoeing or skiing or any number of sports that are out there. Ultimately, the decision should be in the hands of the parent. The parents are in tune with their children.

In my own experience, we have taken children out 5 and 6 and 7 years old. You -- you hear me right, 5, 6 and 7...

O'BRIEN: And that's safe? You think that's safe?

NUGENT: ... who have a wonderful quality family experience.

O'BRIEN: At 5, 6 and 7?

(CROSSTALK)

NUGENT: I don't think anything.

I was there.

(CROSSTALK)

NUGENT: I was -- I was with a 5-year-old child in a blind in Texas at the Y.O. ranch, and he got a beautiful deer with his rifle, supervised...

O'BRIEN: I would think the...

NUGENT: ... which all the laws that we support...

O'BRIEN: I would think the gun would knock him over, Ted.

NUGENT: ... we support -- well, that's because you are ignorant about guns, obviously. No, the gun did not knock him over.

O'BRIEN: Well, no, it's got quite a bit of kickback.

NUGENT: The gun knocked over the deer.

O'BRIEN: All right.

Heidi, what -- what do you think about this? What -- what is an appropriate age?

PRESCOTT: Well, obviously, we have laws in this country stopping children from driving cars. We believe it should at least be that minimum age.

O'BRIEN: OK.

And what -- what happens at 16? I mean, it -- it -- the difference here, of course, is, we're talking -- in the case of Ted, we're talking about supervised activities, right?

PRESCOTT: Well...

O'BRIEN: Driving, 16, we -- we let the kids loose on their own.

(CROSSTALK)

PRESCOTT: And, tragically...

NUGENT: Yes, and, Miles, I think we all know that kids are taught...

(CROSSTALK)

O'BRIEN: Well, let's let Heidi go first.

(CROSSTALK)

NUGENT: I'm sorry.

O'BRIEN: Let Heidi go first.

NUGENT: Go ahead. You...

PRESCOTT: I mean, tragically...

NUGENT: I'm not hearing you real good.

PRESCOTT: Tragically, there are already five children dead this year. Obviously, we need to have laws in this country to stop children from being out in the woods under the age of 16.

O'BRIEN: OK. But, you know, you -- you say it's unsafe. But, if you look at the statistics, the thing that is most unsafe for kids to participate in is football, by a long shot.

(CROSSTALK)

O'BRIEN: Look at the -- look at the acts -- injuries per 100,000 participants. It's more than 3,000 for football. Down at the bottom, below Ping-Pong, as we said, is hunting. So, it really is safe, statistically.

PRESCOTT: Well, statistically, you are looking at accidents.

We are talking about fatalities as well. When you're -- when you have accidents with Ping-Pong or with football, children don't lose their lives.

O'BRIEN: Well, OK, but, sometimes, they -- they get paralyzed in football. I mean, we can talk about injuries. There -- there are serious injuries that are associated with football.

Ted, when -- when you hear about these -- these terrible incidents we just talked about at the top of the program, what do you say about that? Because, I mean, that -- that's a tragic situation. And you don't want to see that kind of thing happen. And she -- she does have a point. We're talking about lethal weapons here with very young people.

NUGENT: Yes, but, still, the statistics do prove, irrefutably, Miles, that -- that the death rate is higher in many, many other -- other activities.

Remember that these kids get to hunting camp in vehicles, in high-speed vehicles on highways using gasoline and hunting camps and knives at the -- at the kitchen table, that we will never be able to protect each other from ourselves. There's always going to be accidents. And they are always tragic and they are always heartbreaking.

But, as you saw in the report, hunting is at an all-time safe level right now, with the fewest accidents, the fewest injuries, the fewest deaths in the history of the shooting sports.

And let's be perfectly clear. Heidi Prescott and the Humane Society of the United States, they are on record to ban all hunting. So, I think she's quite disingenuous in her claim that she wants to change the age. She wants to ban hunting. It's come out of her mouth hundreds of times. And it's her official policy. So, let's call a spade a spade here.

O'BRIEN: Heidi, you -- you want to say it again tonight?

PRESCOTT: Well, again, you know, the Humane Society of the United States, obviously, considers hunting not part of a humane world. But, tonight, we're talking about...

O'BRIEN: So -- so -- I'm sorry. Let's get that straight. You -- you would like all hunting banned?

(LAUGHTER)

PRESCOTT: Again, you know, we -- we consider...

NUGENT: Heidi? Heidi-ho?

PRESCOTT: Is that Ted asking me?

Ted, we have got an -- an opening for a hunting manager at the Humane Society of the United States. You're probably not going to be a contender for that position.

O'BRIEN: A -- a hunting manager?

PRESCOTT: Yes, for -- for...

O'BRIEN: What -- what does the hunting manager at the Humane Society do?

PRESCOTT: Well, we -- we actually actively campaign against canned hunts, Internet hunting, which Ted Nugent is on record as supporting, contest kills using animals, any type of egregious form of hunting.

O'BRIEN: All right, Heidi Prescott, Ted Nugent, we are going to have to leave it there. Thank you both for your time.

Coming up...

NUGENT: Merry Christmas.

O'BRIEN: Same to you.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I wish I saw that debate. I love when Ted debates the antis. I saw him at a Sean Hannity event debate animal rights. It was a stitch and a half.

·
Registered
31 Posts
He's definitely out there.Anyone see his show when he kills the chicken in front of those kids.Just slams the chickens head on a stump suddenly.Kids on the show were in shock.He then tells them they have to do it if they want to eat.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The more I hear from Ted Nugent the more I like him! I really want to see Wanted: Ted or Alive, but I am never around when its on :(.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
He's definitely out there.Anyone see his show when he kills the chicken in front of those kids.Just slams the chickens head on a stump suddenly.Kids on the show were in shock.He then tells them they have to do it if they want to eat.
Those weren't kids. The youngest Contestant on the show was 21 and the oldest was 37.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I love Ted for what he does for us (wish he played country though, haha). I however did not know he supported internet hunts and canned hunts, two things I strongly disagree with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts