New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hunted 4 days last week. I watched 5 different deer come into my corn. Sniff aroud for a few minutes and never eat a bite. They did eat the few apples I dropped. After walking away from the corn I watched them eating Acorns.Anyone else notice the deer not touching corn.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I dont have the bigger deer eating my corn, but the fawns and button bucks are eating it, I woulda had pics but someone decided that they needed my camera more than I do. So I am very pissed off about this, and ready to bang heads!!!![mad]

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I threw out some apples that were going bad on Fri. Sat I called in a small buck, ne walked within 5' of the pile and didn't even go for a sniff?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Opening week the deer ate my corn and kicked the ground up down to the dirt trying to get at it.

This weekend I threw out 300#s of corn Friday afternoon, and didn't have one deer in it all weekend.

It wasn't because of human scent, 'cuz my hands NEVER touched the corn.

Wild Turkeys had no problem going into it, and a young red fox had no problem eating the cereal that I usually mix in with the corn.

This is the first time that this has happened to me.

·
Registered
282 Posts
plan on going out tonight and tomorrow morning. is anyone using any tick repelent? hunting zone 5. should i be concerned with ticks? only asking cause last year i hunted turkey swamp and didnt use any but i didnt have a problem with them either. any advice? all is welcome.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I also have alot of foxes everytime I am out hunting, at my bait pile as well, I am trying to get rid of a few, but they don't stick around for long.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
ACORN's if there are alot of acorns in the area, they are more appt to them then the corn. This has happened a few times over the years because of the acorn crop. I then go and get 5 gallon bucket of molasses, and mix my corn with that. The deer like the sweet taste. So do the bears, So beware.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Hey, Hockystick, Get hold of some Permanone or Duranon spray. The active ingredient is Perimtherin ( .05% ). You use it only on your clothes not on your skin. It's ODERLESS. It works on ticks and chiggers. I also use it on the camo head net. Stops that annoying mesquitos buzzzzzzzzzz.
You should spray your clothes several hours before going out. They say one spray lasts weeks. I use it each time I go out. I take no chances with CHIGGERS [mad][mad]

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
We add corn to our horses feed in the winter cause it generates HEAT in animals. The deer know this and will often p [no swearing please] up corn in warm weather. Try some molassas poured over your bait. I put corn in a trash can then mix in a little molassas ( available at feed stores by the gallon ), just enough for taste and smell. Right now I'm using 1 part sweet horse feed ( grain w/molassas ) and 5 parts whole corn. They are sucking it right up. At one bait site, in order to get 24 hrs. of pix on my camera, I have to bait it am & pm with 25lbs. of feed each time. Soon as it gets cooler out, SOMEBODY'S GONNA PAY, CAUSE NOBODY EATS FOR FREE :D:D

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
I mix a supplement with my corn called Beast Feast. I was skeptical at first but I tell ya there are alot of acorns this year but the deer really zone in on my corn with this stuff mixed in. Pop just uses straight corn and the deer have hardly touched it.
The deer really love this stuff..It has a really strong sweet aroma.And If I dont get a chance to feed for a while the ground is just torn up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts