New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished the South Branch of the Raritan Friday late morning up near High Bridge.

There were "hundreds" of trout in the rocks in water that was about 7" - 8" deep all along about a 50 foot stretch - I'd NEVER seen that before - They wouldn't bite anything that I threw at them, and believe me, I threw "everything" I had in my vest at them.

After walking upstream up on the bank, I finally dicovered what was going on. A 3+ feet Northern pike was lying in wait in about a foot of water. I pulled out a heavier rod and some surface plugs and large Mepp's spinners, but this bully was stickin' to his diet of Trout and large Pumpkinseeds/Blue Gills !!!!

He cruised back and forth every 15 mins. or so, and I watched him devour a few stupid trout and a Pumpkinseed during about an hours time.

Gotta get those Pike out of the South Branch, otherwise there won't be many trout or panfish left later in the season.[mad]

I called Bill over at Shannon's Fly & Tackle in Califon and told him to tell Jim the Owner, and see if he could muster up a posse of the guys up there that fish for Pike, and come down and get that predator before he wipes out all of the trout !!! (Jim and others were catching Pike up in the Gorge and Califon area back in March this year to get them out of those pristine trout waters up there - An article about them was in one of the April NJ Fisherman magazine editions.) [up]

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FYI - I've seen a few Northern Pike down below the falls in the South Branch in Clinton (by the red mill's paddle wheel), but NEVER that far upstream!!!! [mad]

Seems those fish are starting to invade the entire river!!!![mad][mad][mad]

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i wish i would have seen it. i never heard of any pike in there but i do believe it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts