New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone want to take a first timer to a WMA field?

I need a HIP number, steel shot, and a federal stamp, right?

I would like to try a secret weapon that I heard about. Supposedly, its so good that they made it illegal in PA for geese.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Drag,
I am planning to go Goose hunting Sat near Walpack Center you are welcome to come. Get the tungsten-iron shot instead of the steel. It is way more expensive, but packs more wollop. Also get the two stamps....sometimes the federal stamp is hard to find. Ray's in Plainfield has them. Post offices are supposed to have them, but usually the morons behind the counter don't know what you are talking about when you ask.

Be prepared to lay on the ground. Bring some padding and get one of the camo burlap sheets.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BobR - I have never been goose hunting. Plus I hardly ever shoot clay pigeons... haven't been pheasant hunting in years... and ask JerseyJim.. I sucked at getting the gun up when we were rabbit hunting. :)

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I was just kidding with ya. You'll do fine. Take your time lining up on them. They can't get away that fast once they lock up to land 5ft off the ground. When you field hunt geese most shot are at 20' or less. When in layout blinds I always put in an Imp.cyl. choke.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know BobR. ;)

230grain is gonna put out some decoys and we are gonna hide (either in a bushes/blind or laying in the field with camo burlap).

Improved choke? Really? I was gonna go with modified.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Mod. may be to tight depending on how they react to the spread & calling. Like I said we bang ours geese within 20'tops. Their wings are back & feet down coming into the landing zone in the spread. A mod. at 20' with BB is about 10" or less. That could be a clean miss while sitting up from a laying position. I go with the wide choke, it's more forgiving LOL. Bring them both & change it if you guys are p [no swearing please] shooting. Like tomorrow I'm hunting big water so I'll use a full choke because shots a lot farther out in the decoy spread.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I usually go with either a modified or a full. Last year had too many geese seemingly get hit by a pellet or two and just keep flying, frustrating stuff. My hunting buddy has also had good results with the full choke on his gun.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts