New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I missed 2 this year with the gun and didn't get clear shots with the bow. This is the first year in 4 years I got skunked deer hunting. But there are plenty of deer on the private property I hunt. I don't know about the state land. I haven't hunted it in a long time. I may venture at it again, but don't see a need.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
consider yourself lucky to still have private land to hunt..lost mine to a club when i went into the service. Not a bad year though got six with the bow. small 5pt in NY, wacky looking 4pt in zone 9 he had 3 on right side and the left was just a main beam with no points. 17" wide and 145 pounds. Found some old buckshot wounds in the neck when i skinned him out.Rest were does

·
Registered
273 Posts
I missed 3 doe..killed a doe and a six pointer with the bow this year..first year hunting since 1974...first deer i ever killed actually..never got one when i was a kid...wasn't serious back then i guess..special thanks to simon peters sport shop for setting me up!

·
Registered
273 Posts
thank you and it's good to be back...i've seen 13 bears (one eyeball to eyeball on my knees at 10 yards about 600 pounds)6 bobcats,a mink, an owl,3 coyotes..well now there's 2...fox,coon,what a year!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
From 1980 thur 1997, I killed on a average of 2-3 deer (1-2 bucks each yaer) each year, with the bow. Since 1997 I killed only two bucks 1999 & 2003. During 2002 and 2004 I did not kill or get a shoot at a deer. The deer herd in zone 5 (Hope area) is way down. This started about 1998. To many permits to kill does, and to many days to hunt doe or buck.

B

·
0 Posts
Thats why hunters should stop taking so many antlerless deer, and the shotgun season should stop at the end of the year

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I didn't spend a whole lot of time in Zone 5 this year as I hunted Zone 10 a bunch. I did see a real nice deer that when I saw him the only thing I could think was "Oh s**t". He was an eight ptr that was way out past the ears. Of course it was Sept. and I didn't have a doe yet. Deer numbers seem to be normal where I hunt.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I shot my first deer ever this year, a doe, in Zone 5 on opening day. And luckily, I got another doe in Zone 14 during permit shotgun. I'll tell you what... I haven't even seen a buck in the woods. If it weren't for pictures of them, I think I'd forget what they look like.;)

·
3,413 Posts
Hey David "Yoda 4x4", welcome to the boards.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I also didn't get anything with the bow this year. I didn't even have a shot in zone 5. The area I hunt in zone 2, saw bunch of does all season but was waiting for a buck I had spotted. Never saw him again. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts