New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I missed 2 this year with the gun and didn't get clear shots with the bow. This is the first year in 4 years I got skunked deer hunting. But there are plenty of deer on the private property I hunt. I don't know about the state land. I haven't hunted it in a long time. I may venture at it again, but don't see a need.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
consider yourself lucky to still have private land to hunt..lost mine to a club when i went into the service. Not a bad year though got six with the bow. small 5pt in NY, wacky looking 4pt in zone 9 he had 3 on right side and the left was just a main beam with no points. 17" wide and 145 pounds. Found some old buckshot wounds in the neck when i skinned him out.Rest were does

·
Registered
273 Posts
I missed 3 doe..killed a doe and a six pointer with the bow this year..first year hunting since 1974...first deer i ever killed actually..never got one when i was a kid...wasn't serious back then i guess..special thanks to simon peters sport shop for setting me up!

·
Registered
160 Posts
From 1980 thur 1997, I killed on a average of 2-3 deer (1-2 bucks each yaer) each year, with the bow. Since 1997 I killed only two bucks 1999 & 2003. During 2002 and 2004 I did not kill or get a shoot at a deer. The deer herd in zone 5 (Hope area) is way down. This started about 1998. To many permits to kill does, and to many days to hunt doe or buck.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I didn't spend a whole lot of time in Zone 5 this year as I hunted Zone 10 a bunch. I did see a real nice deer that when I saw him the only thing I could think was "Oh s**t". He was an eight ptr that was way out past the ears. Of course it was Sept. and I didn't have a doe yet. Deer numbers seem to be normal where I hunt.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I shot my first deer ever this year, a doe, in Zone 5 on opening day. And luckily, I got another doe in Zone 14 during permit shotgun. I'll tell you what... I haven't even seen a buck in the woods. If it weren't for pictures of them, I think I'd forget what they look like.;)

·
3,413 Posts
Hey David "Yoda 4x4", welcome to the boards.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.