New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't recall finding any ticks on me this year,how's everyone else doing with them?

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yup ,Spring turkey hunting I had a few also,but not many at all.Nowheres near as many as past springs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have been in and out of the woods all summer and have not found one tick on me yet. A friend of mine went with me to bait my stand in August and was wearing a tank top and a pair of shorts and he started to laugh when he seen me wearing a full jump suite in 85 degree weather. On the way home he almost crashed his truck because he had two ticks on his shoulder and arm . Hahaha. ALL I could do was laugh .

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
No ticks this yet. Well I did have like 2-3 when scouting in the spring since then None.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
No ticks this year yet..My highest count was while pheasant hunting in Manasquan WMA around 8 years ago took 82 off myself and I stopped counting at 120 off the dog..Since moving to Hunterdon County 3 years ago, I have only had a handful of ticks not like Southern Monmouth where I had to deal with ticks and chiggers everytime I hit the woods during bow season..

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Turkey hunting, trout fishing and spring scouting had me picking hundreds of ticks off of me. It was horrible this year.

Ive only FOUND two so far during this bow-season, but that doesnt mean others didnt get "in" before I could find them.

I think its time for a lymes disease check, Ive been feeling some of the effects for over a year now, but its getting worse. I dont want it as bad as my brother had it.:(

I actually have given up on finding all the tiny lyme carrying ticks though, I dont even bother to check. I just happen to find them sometimes while showering or changing clothes. I still pick off anything I find burrowing in me, but I dont purposely search for them, they are just too hard to see.[down]

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
JCCHARTGIRL....got bitten by a tick and contracted Lyme Disease at Clinton WMA this summer.

I got bitten twice by ticks while out on Fire Island as well..

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I had Lyme disease two years ago... I believe I got bit during NYS rifle season. There were no symptoms for several months then the side of my face went paralyzed. Now I am real careful....usually.

I now have several pairs of tick proof underwear. Cabela's calls it "Bugskinz" Redhead calls it "Rhinoskin. This stuff is similar material woman's pantyhose. Supposedly the ticks cannot get through it. The ends of the legs and arms seal tight. When I arrive home I take a shower immediately and wash the underwear before using again.

The big problem with Lyme ticks is that they are really small and hard to see. That's why I rely on decontamination instead of inspection.

In spite of all my precautions I got a dog tick in me last Feb or March. I went scouting for turkeys, but because of the season I didn't have my suit and didn’t shower when I got home. The next morning one had dug in my side.

·
Registered
201 Posts
damn this sounds like a real issue, most I had to deal with before were rattlers, scorpions, and fireants...but those are easy to see...usually. Think I will have to invest in some of those undergarments.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Currently Online Posts: 39
damn this sounds like a real issue, most I had to deal with before were rattlers, scorpions, and fireants...but those are easy to see...usually. Think I will have to invest in some of those undergarments.
We have rattlers here too.. I have never seen one, but I know guys that have.

·
Registered
201 Posts
We had a lot of them on our land .. it was just north of del Rio. Hot and Dry .. it was hard not to see them.. if you had a ground blind that was always one of the worries.. walking in and finding one! lol

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
No ticks, but got into what I think were chiggers. Couldn't see them, but they hurt like hell. I still have red bumps where they got me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts