New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a ton of fun this morning but at first,every bird was a jake. First I had 6 jakes come to with-in 20 feet of me while the longbeard stayed with the ladies.They displayed and gobbled their heads off.
I went to a different location and again I called in jakes, Three this time.
I had turned the camera on and wasn't able to move once they got into the field. If it had been longbeards I would have had a quick hunt in film. But I didn't want to shoot a Jake. I heard more gobblers behind them so I didn't want to spook the Jakes either. I froze... For 20 minutes the jakes strutted around in front of me while the camera was running...JUST OFF CAMERA !![cry]
At one time the 'Boss Jake' was strutting so close to me I COULD HAVE POKED HIM WITH THE GUN BARREL !!!
(Again...while camera is running but not on film)
Finally the LongBeards broke the edge of the field and slowly headed my way. I was unable to move cause the Jakes were still all around me,tring to find the "Hen".
When the three LongBeards seperated from the hens they were following. I shot the one that was 'in the clear'. Birds scattered in all directions. I checked the camera and the tape had already run to the end when I had shot. I reviewed the footage and once the jakes entered the field....Not another turkey was on video...
Self filmed hunts with out a blind, are TUFF !

9 1/2" whiskers
1" spurs
19 lbs.

I was sitting at the tree thats behind the hay bail

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Send some of those birds over here! Worst A week in 10 yrs for me.
Where's the cameraman ? still looking for sheds? LOL
Congrats on yet another one! LOL

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
WOW Gobblergetter, WHERE the heck are you finding these birds? I didn't hear a single gobble this morning, but still managed to call in three hens, no boyz in tow though.

Congratulations to the ONE and ONLY GOBBLERGETTER [up] :D

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Hey double G you sure can find them and call them in! I think we could all use you for a great turkey calling seminar! Hats off to a real Pro!!!!!! Congrats AGAIN!!!:D[up][up][up]

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I will say it again...."You are da man"...Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![smoke]

·
Registered
17,068 Posts
Congrats!! Nice bird!! [up][up]Enjoyed reading your story, even though you weren't able to get your hunt on film. Am sure you'll make it next time. ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts