New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many of you guys and gals out there just havent found the buck your looking for? i guess the reason im asking is bc im looking for a 100inch or better buck but just havent connected on one in a while here in nj. are my standards just to high? am i the only one who thinks this way..

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
how many of you guys and gals out there just havent found the buck your looking for? i guess the reason im asking is bc im looking for a 100inch or better buck but just havent connected on one in a while here in nj. are my standards just to high? am i the only one who thinks this way..
You aren't the only one. I feel the same exact way too. I havent shot a buck since 1999 because of it. I refuse to shoot a buck thats less than about 110-120" with my bow, and with the gun it has to be HUGE. PLUS, I only hunt on public land.

I think I may lower my standards from here on out though. Whats the sense in passing 90" eight pointers when other people shoot them? I just feel like Im killing baby big'uns. Anytime Ive ever killed a small buck Ive felt horrible. I know I should be proud, but I just feel terrible.:(

Kris is right though, there are some shooters out there. I wouldnt say A LOT....but there are definitely some BIG BIG shooter bucks. I havent seen anything over 120" this year, but in years past Ive seen more than a few 130 and 140 cl [no swearing please] bucks. I even saw one that was around 170cl [no swearing please] in Whittingham maybe 6 years ago. It was the biggest buck Ive ever seen while hunting.

Dont get discouraged though......One day you will connect with the hog you want, and all the waiting will be worth it.[up][up]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I think the new generation of hunters need to screw their heads back on tight and make sure to use Locktite.
If a hunter decides to place a minimum score buck his goal, he sure should be realistic. If he only gets to hunt Sat.'s and a few vacation days, he pizzing into the wind, to place a score of 100+.
If he's hunting WMA, he's really been doing drugs, unless he puts every free moment into fulfilling his goal.
If he's hunting a area like Mendam, Colts Neck, or another premium area, than it might not be as hard to reach that goal.
Don't set your goal by what you see others get, unless you know their full situation. Like all other human interests, you should mature with experience, but no matter what, if your not enjoying yourself, it's time to move on.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I think the new generation of hunters need to screw their heads back on tight and make sure to use Locktite.
If a hunter decides to place a minimum score buck his goal, he sure should be realistic. If he only gets to hunt Sat.'s and a few vacation days, he pizzing into the wind, to place a score of 100+.
If he's hunting WMA, he's really been doing drugs, unless he puts every free moment into fulfilling his goal.
If he's hunting a area like Mendam, Colts Neck, or another premium area, than it might not be as hard to reach that goal.
Don't set your goal by what you see others get, unless you know their full situation. Like all other human interests, you should mature with experience, but no matter what, if your not enjoying yourself, it's time to move on.

I didnt think I did drugs, but you must be right.:D

Im no weekend warrior, I spend quite a few hours in the woods every year, but more often than not its public lands. So I guess I am crazy for passing nice bucks.:eek:

AND, I cant explain WHY I p [no swearing please] small bucks, I just feel like I am shooting a baby big'un (which I am). I cant bring myself to do that, and anytime I have, it makes me feel sick! I get no enjoyment out of it. :( I would rather take a doe any day.

Every small 1.5 year old buck Ive ever killed has made me want to bring the arrow back and breathe life back into that deer. I dont think these "trophy" ideals were put in my head by videos, or tv shows either, because honestly I never watch them. (well, now I do, I just got TOC and OLN last week).

These feelings have always been a part of my hunt. Its just the way I am. I want it to be hard, I want to be frustrated, I want to be near the point of giving up. This way when I do shoot one, I will be so overjoyed it will be beyond words.

So call me crazy, or say I dont have my head screwed on right, but dont think Im not having fun. As twisted as it may seem, frustration is part of the fun!;)

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
Who cares what it scores? Most guys don't have the luxury of hunting 50-60+ days a year and hold out for a wallhanger.Alot of guys have familys w/ kids,houses,job responsibilities,etc.
I'd like to quit my job and hunt all the time but things must be prioritized.For me, a decent basket 8 will go down for the count...
Everyone,has their own goals,standards,etc so shoot what ever you want as long as it makes you happy. :)

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Well Matt, you've obviously have matured with the sport. I also feel remorse after taking a life, wether it's a 1.5yr old or an older deer. Anyone who doesn't, also should take a different direction.
Most members here are not "weekend warriors", but my post was primarily directed to W.W's and newer hunters. I believe a lot of them have pressure put on them with the marketing tactics being used today.
For them to put a unrealistic goal, doesn't make any sense. Those of them limited to hunting WMA areas should do backflips, if they scored on a buck over 1.5 yrs. old, with a bow.

Who cares what it scores? Most guys don't have the luxury of hunting 50-60+ days a year and hold out for a wallhanger.Alot of guys have familys w/ kids,houses,job responsibilities,etc.
I'd like to quit my job and hunt all the time but things must be prioritized.For me, a decent basket 8 will go down for the count...
Everyone,has their own goals,standards,etc so shoot what ever you want as long as it makes you happy.
Well spoken, B10Gauge

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
WOW!! I guess you have to respect everyones feelings and goals. I'm probably 10 of the oldest and most experience hunters in this web site. I make that assessment by what I have read here. I hunt every possible day that I can. Since day one (Sept 10) I have passed up maybe 25 to 30 bucks. Why?? because I wanted to. I took two does, Why?? because i was force to. And tonight I decide to take the trophy of the year for me. Why?? because it felt good and the shot was worth it. My trophy was a nice tender 3 pointer that I shot at 31 yards. It will yield somewhere around 35 pounds of lean good eating venison. The rack will go in the garage with all of the other 40 or 50 that are laying there collecting dust. But I tell you what!! I could probably tell you when and where and how I took all those deer's. Do I ever put standards on myself? NO I don't. I hunt because I love it, and must of all I respect the animal that I hunt. So too me every one of them is a trophy. But in the end is the meat that counts for me. If the Lord chooses to send a so call wall hanger (and I do have a few) my way then all I can say is Thank You Lord.
And yes I'm retire and probably spend more time in the woods then the average hunter. I see more huge trophy bucks in a year then some hunters see in two life times. I guess the bottom line is, if I really wanted a Monster Buck I would pay and go somewere out of State, were the normal Buck is 140++ and the herds are control and manage for that purpose.
Happy Hunting all. And must of all SAVE HUNTING.
TONY

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
BTW I'm the president of the weekend warriors!!! :D

I can't wait for sunday bowhunting. Then I might actually get two days in a row to hunt. You guys don't know the built up anxiety i get waiting for next saturday. I'd love to hunt weekdays but between work, and family, I leave before sunrise and get home after dark. For me, the harvest of my first deer is burning inside, but the excitement i get when I even see a deer in the woods is my trophy alone. People say hey wait for a big deer, when you've never harvested a deer, they are all big.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Drome,You guys don't know the built up anxiety i get waiting for next saturday.
When I started bowhunting in 62, that's how I was, and it lasted a couple of decades. The yearly Maine trip in the 70's effected me the same way. It hasn't been till the last 15yrs. that has all worn off.
This is the first year, that I started deer hunting again, in the last 3 seasons. Now I just go out when the weather and moon call to me. The early openings, don't appeal to me at all, it's way too warm and if one chigger bites me, I'm done, I can deal with ticks.
I don't know if I came across the way I wanted my thoughts to, with my first response to this post, but I'll try again.
I hear so many young(20 thru 30 yr. old hunters, that's young to me.)hunters, hung up with getting a big buck, that it floors me. The ones that pay thousands to hunt Ill., Kansas, and places like that also leave me bewildered. I've said for many years, "The day I have to pay to hunt, is the day, I toss the towel in".

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
The ones that pay thousands to hunt Ill., Kansas, and places like that also leave me bewildered. I've said for many years, "The day I have to pay to hunt, is the day, I toss the towel in".
I agree with that 110%. I have never and will never pay for a guided hunt (but I dont look down on those who do, that is their choice).

To me though, the hunt is about everything leading up to the kill. All the scouting, all the thought put into stand locations and stand prep. All the hours spent on a stand, etc. The kill itself is a remorseful time for me, a time of reflection upon all the work that went into taking that animals life. I think thats part of the reason I wont harvest younger bucks, they are almost a dime a dozen in most the spots I hunt, and if I were to take them as often as I could, I would quickly lose my love of the sport. Like I said, to me its not about the kill, its about the work put in to get there.:)

Thats not to say I look down on others for harvesting them. I know all about time constraints. I used to be tied down and severely limited in my time to hunt as well. I feel for each and every guy that is a "weekend warrior". To put it bluntly....IT SUCKS! But even a little time in the woods is better than none. Never lose sight of that.:)

(Sometimes I think its hard to come across as I intend on the computer, especially when it comes to things such as this subject) Im happy for every hunter that harvests a deer that they are happy with. If its a trophy in their eyes, Im happy. I have to say to though, I get upset if they harvest a deer, "just to harvest a deer". Harvest animals that make you proud, and always RESPECT the animals you hunt!!!)

Have a good one guys---Matt:)

Drome, you will get your first one soon Im sure, and you will remember it for the rest of your life.[up]

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
After getting to see a buck with my own eyes yesterday it was a good feeling knowing the countless hours I spent planting clovers, carrying 150 pounds of corn into the woods and pruning trees.

There's no doubt in my mind I'll never forget the first deer I harvest. The hours I spend in the woods on saturday to me have become time I'm spending so that I can teach my sons the proper way to do things when they are of hunting age. I honestly can't wait to bring them into the woods and see their faces!!

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Everyone has their own reasons for hunting a certain way. My decision to shoot or not to shoot a certain deer is different from the next guy and I can respect that. For me to shoot a 1.5 year old buck is just not in the cards. I have been hunting since 1980 with a bow and have taken many small bucks since then. Over time I started to realize it was an intense challenge to hunt mature bucks. Once again over time, I adapted that into hunting specific mature bucks, which is what I do most days now. If I see a large mature buck and it is a shooter I will most certainly take it, even if it is not the buck I am after. But for me hunting is not all about the kill, it is the combination of that along with all the things leading up to that. From preseason scouting, to practice and set up of the equiptment and location and placemnt of your ambush point. I enjoy all of it and it is the reason I don't need to shoot a deer to enjoy hunting.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
I too like to shoot a mature buck but however, a mature buck doesn't always "score" well.He could have just an average rack,or have points or a beam broken off,etc.Some of the biggest bucks I've seen don't always have a perfect rack.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts