New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw no sign of rutting activity yesterday. I did make a mock scrape that the 5 pointer went to before I whacked him last week. Before I left my area yesterday I walked over to it and put whatever leftover scent I had, James Vally Scrape Scent, and some Golden Estrous doe in heat scent and it was reopened maybe the day before. A hunter I know has been hunting everyday this week up in the zone 4 in different locations, and he said he has seen NO rutting type of action at all. Brownstones has a house in a lake community in PA, and there also the deer seemed to be relaxing enjoying the warm temps. we did and watched a huge 6 pointer make a scrape while we ate lunch on his deck

·
Registered
375 Posts
I was fortunate enough to hunt westchester county new york yesterday. I saw an 8 chasing a doe, no way to stop him. I had a fork horn running by, grunted at him a few times and he came running in. I also had a spike come runnning by. Then, I decided to put out some pure doe in estrous pee from a farmer I know in upstate and a 6 came blasting in so fast like 10 feet away stopped dead turned away from me I grunted, he bolted...lol..I could not get my bow off the hook,(I was in a ground blind)what a great experience!!

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
My brother killed a big buck on the 1st, said it and another bigger buck were chasing does all over the woods, as were 3 smaller bucks he saw. I saw some chasing and grunting myself this week, but just little guys, and my friends in Ohio say it has absolutely busted loose...bucks going crazy.

My brother and his wife almost hit two nice bucks yesterday at 10:00 in the morning on the way to a late breakfast...both chasing does across the road.

Guess it depends on where you are.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yesterday I saw a nice 8 pointer chase a doe & mount her 45 yards from my stand. they stayed there for over an hour but would not come any closer . they had no idea I was there

·
Banned
1,192 Posts
It was dead up were I hunt.It was warm all week,I think that put the rut on hold.I know in this heat if I was wearing a fur coat I would not be looking for any ass.lol:D

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I know in this heat if I was wearing a fur coat I would not be looking for any ass
What kind of guy are you?[confused]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
A guy not looking for ass. He should be committed.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Yesterday I went turkey/pheasant hunting/deer scouting in Sterling Forest.

Flushed a grouse the first one in years. When I first heard the wings I thought it was a pheasant so I didn't rush the gun to my shoulder. End of story.

There were lots of rubs & fresh scrapes around the Sand Pit area where I pheasant hunt. The rubs are on small trees. I went to the top of Black Rock Mountain. There were rubs & fresh scrapes near the base on the north side, but not much on the top.

Next week I will scout/hunt the 2 hills to the east & west of the sandpit. I will also try to get to the Bailey Rocks Area.

I did see a pile of bear droppings in the Sand Pit.
There are a lot of choke cherrys still on some small trees there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts