New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be no rutting at all going on, not even seeking/chasing. I saw 5 deer, brownstones saw 2 all small. We did see a really nice 8 pointer about 1.5 miles from our parking area, he was alone in a corn field. This boy should have a girlfriend, unless he's gay

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
I saw a nice buck today that wouldn't leave a Doe. he was definately rutting. Grunting chasing and mostly just standing near his Doe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
last night I saw a spike and 2 6 pointers standing around a small shrub takeing turns giveing it a rub.
I also got a pic of a 6 pointer feeding with a few doe's
How do you post's pic's here??

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
to post pics you...

1. upload the pictures onto your computer
2. join a site such as hunt101.com or photobucket.com and upload them there
3. once its uploaded, copy the image address or image url...
4. then, when you are on newjerseyhunter.com, you go to the "post your reply" box...(the box where you post messages)
5. click the little box that says "image" on it. paste the image address/url and press "ok"

the image should show up when you press "post my reply"

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Pre rut is on every where do not be fooled . With high temps day time they are on the chase at night when the temps drop down .

A good way to always tell is look at the scrapes . When they get covered with leaves and not active it only means one thing ........ The chase is on .

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The rut is definetely on, the temperature is keeping all the activity at night, and the full moon oh well. Saw a nice 8 on Thursday just following a doe deep in the briars, about 10 minute later 2 more small buck were on the same trail tracking the pair. They were probably praying for the big guy to drop dead so they could step in and take care of bussiness

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I agree with the rut happening more at night. I have 3 mid day hunts set up for this week. Kids to the bus at 8 - work from home till 9 - then in a stand from 9:30 till 1:30 -

Have never done this before, but am going to try this week with the moon phase coming in.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Kah, last year around this time(Nov 10) I had the flu. I didn't get out of bed till 8AM. I got on stand at 9:30 and kiiled a nice 7 point at 11:45. He came charging in to a decoy. Circled down wind and I nailed him at 23 yards.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
sounds good jrhunt. Hope to be as lucky - don't have a decoy but have a stand in a funnel between some horse farms. Also the farmer just cut a 10 acre soybeen field so hopefully the deer are back in there. I have not yet hunted this spot but have checked it from time to time - not allot of sign but it is really just a connector to other farms

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
I sat from dark to dark today(won't be doing that a lot) I saw 2 deer all day long,about 8:30 AM A little 6-8 inch spike walked under my stand. Didn't see anything again until until 4:20 Pm and that was a 2 inch spike.Used "the can" on and off all day long but to no avail. Had a good day though,I saw a huge Redtail Hawk,a red squirrel beat the hell out of a grey squirrel and a bunch of Red headed Woodpeckers, a lot of red today but not the right red substance that I have hoped for.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I have checked some of my fields at night with the spot light. The Bucks are out there going nuts with the does. They are also chasing the smaller bucks away. I'm talking here 7 and 8 pm when we are already at home having dinner. The rut is on for sure, but the does are all hiding in the thick stuff, this is usually were you are going to find the big boys laying low and waiting for the good aroma to hit their nose.
Just got to put your time on stand now, and hunt the does. The bucks won't be to far behind.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I think the question here is how are we defining the rut.
Exactly! As far as Im concerned Ive been using rut tactics since the middle of October. Now to clarify though, rut tactics change as the rut goes on. Establishing dominance of domain, scraping, chasing, trolling/breeding.

I guess it depends on what you consider the "rut".
To me its not just the short window of peak breeding. That to me signals that the rut will be picking up again for a short time after, (for about 28 days, as does that missed, cycle again)

I dont like that peak breeding period anyway, its too tough to get a big buck away from a doe in heat. When you have that many does in heat at one time, good luck finding a dominant buck without a girl friend.[down]

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I have checked some of my fields at night with the spot light. The Bucks are out there going nuts with the does. They are also chasing the smaller bucks away. I'm talking here 7 and 8 pm when we are already at home having dinner. The rut is on for sure, but the does are all hiding in the thick stuff, this is usually were you are going to find the big boys laying low and waiting for the good aroma to hit their nose.
Just got to put your time on stand now, and hunt the does. The bucks won't be to far behind.
Glad Im not the only one to notice that. I think spotlighting is a great scouting tool. I really think it helps me to establish what phase of the rut they are in. Right now seems to be the chase phase. (which is about a week later than most years)

You'll have deer breeding during the chase phase of course, but not as many does are in estrous yet, so you wont see many standing for the bucks.

Estrous scent right now is killer, but dont expect does to come around if they get a whiff. They dont want to be mistaken for "mrs. right" and get chased all over the mountain.:D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts