New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, I have a nice piece of property boarding my property that I and a few others have permission to hunt. I took a nice doe from the property on Monday night. I drove into the field, very gently with my truck to retrieve the deer. As I am loading up, I see headlights approaching. It is a kid who knows the land owner, said he saw headlights in the field and was checking things out. I tell him good, I am sure the land owner would be very happy that he came by to make sure everything was ok.

Well, as he was leaving he spun all 4 wheels out of the creek and across the gr [no swearing please] in front of the property owners barn. Fast forward to tonight, I am target shooting in back yard (still working on shooting a Back Tension Release for spots) and I see his truck driving down the property driveway towards the same field. I put my bow away, and he is out of the property now and driving down the road. I meet up with him at the intersection. His truck is covered in mud! He was back in there mud bogging with a buddy. I drove into the property and it was all torn up, much worse than before. I had to call the property owner and tell him what happened. Felt terrible about the whole thing. Kid would have never know he could drive down in there if he had not seen my headlights in the field!

ok, rant over, I know I shouldn't, but I feel responsible for this. I think I am going to head up with a rake this week and see how much I can fix.

-dan

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am sure the deer really loved the show. When I confronted the kid, (20 something but called a kid due to his actions) he was like, it's no big deal, I held the property owner out all the time. I told him that maybe he should have a little more respect for people and their property.

-dan

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Sorry to hear that Dan....
[sad][down][down]

By the way, dont feel the slightest bit responsible....He probably would have done this eventually, regardless of whether you drove down there or not.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Some people just plain SUCK.

At least the owner knows you didn't do it.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
That is wrong, disrespectful, and illegal. Dan you did the right thing by informing the land owner.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
At least you got the owner's ear...and probably his thanks.

Heck, I've called the State Park folks about 1,000 times bout ATVers in parks I hunt...."yeah, we'll be there in an hour or two..we're kinda busy...."

And they wonder why every year they put up a bigger barricade at the trail head and every year it gets taken down.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
I don't know your position with the land owner but I would have dragged the deer to the road and not have been in the field to begin with. But that's my opininon. Either way, He had no bussiness in the field.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.

Land owner has given me permission to drive into the fields (for putting up stands, and picking up deer). I tread very lightly (4 wheel low, and don't hit the gas). I basically only drive where the landowner does with his tractor.

Still feel sick about this. Land owner is supposed to talk to the kids dad today about it. At least todays rain will wash the mud of the barn.

-dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts