New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does that mean, does that pertain to hunting?? Is that a way for a town to restrict hunting? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
No discharge of weapons, or firearms? If it says firearms you are okay with the bow. If it doesn't clarify, you'll have to check the specific wording of the ordinance. Atleast that is my understanding.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sign I saw was in Colts Neck, does anyone bow hunt in that town or know if the No Discharge only applies to firearms? I didn't really notice whether or not the sign actually specifically stated either way. Thanks

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I personally know a few guys that bowhunt Colts Neck. I'm 99% certain that the discharge of firearms is phohibited... call the pd and ask for the specific wording of the ordinance just to be safe [up]

·
Registered
599 Posts
Some towns consider the bow a firearm because it projects a missle, at least that's what the beachwood police officer told me, he was probably just pissed at me cause I was hunting in his spot

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
No discharge usually means firearms not bows, but like WTJ says, you should check. And depending on who tells you what, check what they say.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
And depending on who tells you what, check what they say
[up]
Get the exact wording of the ordinance, not some dispatchers interpretation [up]

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone! Debating on whether to ask permission in a couple of spots I've seen some really nice bucks and NO trucks!!

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Some towns (Riverdale, Butler and Wayne)specifically have no hunting laws.
My understanding is only a State(NJ) can state no hunting and that would be state wide, not an individual town. The towns get around it with "no discharge" laws. My understaning of them are, if the clarification between a bow and a gun is not specific than it points to both as a default.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
My understanding is only a State(NJ) can state no hunting and that would be state wide, not an individual town. The towns get around it with "no discharge" laws. My understaning of them are, if the clarification between a bow and a gun is not specific than it points to both as a default.
Agreed, that's why some built out towns like the ones mentioned and others do the "no discharge" laws instead. Some allow bows and some are de facto no hunting because they restrict bows as well. Lots of towns have their township laws online and you can check that way. Don't trust anyone, check for yourself and then call and confirm.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
The sign I saw was in Colts Neck, does anyone bow hunt in that town or know if the No Discharge only applies to firearms? I
No discharge in Colts neck but certain areas you may hunt with a firearm. Go to the local PD like the sign says and get a map

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
some signs you see say"unlawful to discharge weapons within SPECIFIED township limits".you can hunt certain areas,check with your twp.administrator and chief of police.I work for a public works dept and replace these signs when they are stolen,damaged or SHOT(LOL),and i hunt in the township,as well as other people.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts