New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do no discharge laws vary from town to town? In other words are some towns "no discharge" for firearms only or can a town enact a "no discharge" for firearms/bow?

Does this pertain to private property or public land?

Can a town enforce a no hunting law?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
discharge laws do vary from town to town. i don't beleive a town can enforce a no hunting law but they get around this by having a no discharge ordinance. don't rely on somebody telling you if the town has a no discharge ordinance or not (even if its law enforcement), i would recommend reading the ordinances of that township to be sure yourself. i carry a copy of ordinances with me for some towns which try to deter hunters.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Do no discharge laws vary from town to town? In other words are some towns "no discharge" for firearms only or can a town enact a "no discharge" for firearms/bow?
Yes

Does this pertain to private property or public land?
Private property and municial owned public land-county and state land are not goverened by a local ordinance

Can a town enforce a no hunting law?
No. Hunting is controlled at the state level. A town can do nothing in regards to hunting laws. Any attempt to do so is unlawful but that doesn't seem to stop towns from trying. I think it was Bernardsville a few years back wanted to make hunters take a town specific safety course to hunt in the town-completely illegal

·
Registered
924 Posts
My understanding is that towns can't stop hunting as it is a state thing but they can control dischargge of weapons, bows, guns etc. so as to effectivly ban hunting without really banning hunting.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yes a municipality can restrict the possession and discharge of a loaded firearm within its jurisdictional boundaries. Many municipalities have enacted exemptions for hunting as long as it is accordance to the State of New Jersey's Fish and Game Laws. Still many do no and therefore it is illegal, per se. Even though it is enacted to promote public safety it is more of an enaction of a burden on fellow hunters then providing any type of safety thereof.

·
Registered
405 Posts
No discharge laws can be enforced from a municipality. However hunting regulations cannot legally be abridged by a municipality trying to govern it by passing restrictive hunting techniques. See above for what I wrote.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
The local police will prosecute you and you will spend a day in court...you will win...but bring your check book for laywer fee...cost $500.00 and a loss of a days pay from work...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
By passing no discharge laws they have effectively by passed state law protecting hunting.When you dont attend town meetings regularly this is the crap that gets passed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts