New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever drive (or walk) by a awesome looking deer area, but never see a deer?

There is this one field that I must have driven by in the Poconos at least 200 times... and never seen a freaking deer.

Also, across from the Pathmark on Rt. 15 in Jefferson Township, NJ there is a soccer field that never has a deer standing in or along the edge.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
LOL! Down my way, you can drive around all evening long and look in field after field of beans and clover, alphalfa (sp), cut corn, whatever, summer or fall, and not see many deer. Some of the best looking habitat is devoid of deer.

That is typical of many places in south jersey where the deer herd has been reduced to 12 DPSM or less.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I hunt Black River , any time any day, all the time.
One winter I kept good tabs on a specific area. There was this one guy who would always hunt the same tree on saturdays. Great tree if a drive came through. I walked ths area when I get bored or just still hunting and in over 1 1/2 months not one track. I felt sorry for the guy. Then one day probably a monday I went by this guys stand and there was 3 fired shells (00). No tracks from his stand except for coming and going. I knew the other guys put a drive on . I circled to find any blood or where the guy shot at, well the next week I ran into him and inquired about the spent shells. He told me he cleared a shooting lane. After I told him about no track in a long time he never came back. Funny thing is that if he stayed there till the end of the season he would have taken one, instead of it coming by my stand. You just never know. Scouting pays off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts