New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only seen 1 deer so far in 5. Saw her yesterday about 430 on the private property I hunt. I hunted White Lake and Whittingham today and not 1 deer to be seen by 3 of us. Where they all go?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
There is a good reason why the state took bearswamp away from zone 5, its shot up. years ago the deer were plentifull, now they are far & few in between.
If the State doesn't do something to control the liberal bag limits on some of these zones, we're in trouble.
next year I'm contemplating leasing land in Maryland and hunting there most of the year. there are fewer deer in the woods every year, not worth the high prices of the license and all these permit fees.

G

·
GUNNY.....AMEN TO THAT!!!!

Wait "35" said it for me[up]

wake up guys, keep taking numerous antlerless deer and within 1 or 2 years there will be no deer in your hunting area, but many deer in areas where we can't hunt

·
11,226 Posts
There is a good reason why the state took bearswamp away from zone 5
The state just increased the size of Bear Swamp by over 800 acres with a big piece of land they bought right next to it![up]
http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/sussex/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1134279514280670.xml&coll=1
It now is part of the surrounding 2,000-acre Bear Swamp Wildlife Management Area under the DEP. Supporters say the purchase was a coup, due to its size and location on the Kittatinny Ridge and surrounded by Bear Swamp.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
wake up guys, keep taking numerous antlerless deer and within 1 or 2 years there will be no deer in your hunting area
BHC I tried to push this point on the bowsite a couple years ago and the guys jumped all over me saying that we have to do what the state wants us to do,they went as far as to accuse me of being an anti[confused]

G

·
"D": you, me and a few others here can remember when we saw lots of deer and still saw great bucks. There was a time that antlerless deer needed to be taken out, but when do we or the state draw the line, and stop it? Alot of you guys here don't remember, or didn't hunt back when the herds of deer roamed the lands we hunt. Just because the state says unlimited harvest of antlerless deer doesn't mean you have too harvest them. But the ones that harvest alot of these antlerless deer are going to be the ones bitching and crying to THE state asking "WHY AREN'T WE SEEING DEER?" Well remember a few of us here on NJH told you so!!!! Take a antlerless deer or two, allow the rest to walk, remember this for every female deer you take this year, there will be 2/4 less deer for you to hunt next year

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
When the Permit sales drop off from lack of deer they will change the regs so fast our heads will spin....To bad it will be to late to save the herd in some zones.

IT IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
IT IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!
when we stop buying licenses, and go out of state where are they going to get the $$$$.

I have Hunted in NJ since 1973, and never ever have I seen so few deer in the woods as I have in the past two or three years.
I usually take a couple of weeks off to hunt and this year I took off three weeks during Bow & MZ season, there were days I saw NO deer at all.
while I was hunting in High point one of the Federal Game Wardens who is a personal friend of mine stopped by to see me, he works zone 4 the Gap area, he stated that he used to see well over a hundred deer every nite in the woods by the river, last couple of years he says on a good day 30-40.
What gives???
Time will tell....

·
11,226 Posts
Well someone is seeing a lot of deer this year! My butcher said he is having one of his best years! My taxidermist can't keep up either! A lot of guy's must be getting permision to hunt those places in closer to the houses?! They're killing a lot of deer somewhere!

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'm pretty new to deer hunting so I don't know what it was like years ago but I was wondering if anyone thinks the following has happened:

* Deer Herd grows too big for carrying capacity

* Expands into residential areas (when I was a kid in NJ it was unheard of to see deer in towns like Oradell, Emerson, River Edge, Westwood - now I see them quite often). When you look at towns in more rural areas it's remarkable to me how many deer are actually there.

* Deer herd is culled by hunters over a 10 year period

* Deer herd is still thriving in residential areas and has become accustomed to being there

* Deer herd is thin in "wild" areas and will stay that way due to bag limits and seasons designed to thin it.

ASSUMING this is all true - Will the "residential" deer herd ever move back into the habitat that is now thin? I doubt it - why would they. If indeed the herd is too thin AND the residential deer aren't giving up their cushy lifestyle. Something needs to change with bag limits and or seasons.

For those who believe that the "wild" herd has reached a point where it is "thin" do you think residential deer will move back into wild areas and fill the capacity that has opened up?

·
Registered
862 Posts
I live in Nutley and believe it or not we have a small herd that lives along the powerlines right of way that runs through town! also had my inlaws tell me they saw a turkey in front of their house. It was probaly a turkey vulture but who knows! also a lot of gray fox @ powerlines. probaly because of all the rabbits.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.