New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hunted from my ladder stand this morning. Did not see a thing. Decided to go to my ground blind which is located at the very end of my parent's property here in VA. It's a natural made blind that overlooks a field but, it backs up to a large natural pond that goes about 350 feet into a pine forest and swamp. Perfect for duck hunting. I made my way down to the blind just after lunch today. My son was going to hunt with my father at another ground blind closer to their house. I was in my blind no more than 10 minutes when, a Marsh Hawk flies over me and over the pond. Within seconds, I hear screeching and wings flapping in a large pine tree about 60 yards from me. I looked over and saw 2 adult Bald Eagles take off after the hawk. The hawk flew low through the pine forest and circled back over me out into the field. The eagles followed the hawk almost knocking it out of the air. Once the adult eagles returned, I heard screeching about a 100 yards down from me. It was a younger eagle up in a pine tree. It flew and landed in a tree about 50 feet from me and the adults landed in another tree about 70 feet from me. They stayed about 90 minutes or so and then, they all took off. It was a wonderful experience to see them up close and in person. It was a good day even though I did not get to shoot a buck.

Reactions: RussA

·
Registered
620 Posts
totally agree...some days when all I saw was a raccoon or turkeys or red fox..it still makes the day memorable and appreciative that I'm able to be out and enjoy it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.