New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else out there hunt woodchucks?
I've found it to be a great way to practice for deer season. They are plentiful pests that most farmers welcome hunters onto their land to eliminate. And a hunter that trims a landowner's woodchuck problem, and shows he's a " safe " hunter can find his foot firmly in the door when asking permission to return for deer season;)

·
Registered
9,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been using a Re. Model 7 in .223cal. I shoot it all summer for chucks, then when Pa. deer season come around, I grab my Rem. Model 7 in 7MM-08. Same gun/ scope combination. It's just like practicing all summer with your deer rifle.
For the longer shots, I have an TC Encore in 22-250, with a 14X scope. But it tends to rattle the windows on the smaller farms :(

·
Registered
9,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The picture I posted in the photo gallery shows my old ( it was Dad's ) Rem. model 788 in .22-250. Since it was made in 1968 ( I believe ) and has sentimental value, I don't shoot it anymore. But it was accurate enough to get the other chuck in the photo at 300+yds, from my deck :D

·
Registered
14,886 Posts
dave pellet riffle use the pellets not the bbs...i shot a bunny with 2 bbs and he just wobbled and finally ran off next time he came around i shot him with a pellet in the head and he didnt move again...my garden was safe

·
Premium Member
8,257 Posts
I used to shoot them with my 257 Robert's...Ah another gun these kid's never heard of..
Rich, I'm waiting for the PM telling me I can buy it from you :D:D:D

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Nightstalker, I hunt hogs as well. I hunt farms all over Northern Jersey and I use a worked Remington 243 BDL. I also use a 22mag for the close quarters shots. It really is a lot of fun. The long range shots are the most challenging(500 yards). As soon as we get a break from the rain the farmers will begin cutting the fields. Then the fun begins!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i nailed 2 of them,1 with my 12 gauge #8 lr/ln target load,the other with my nylon 77 .22 lr. last time i saw on any my land was 5 months ago.

i know there's more of them around here, cause the last time i seen any their was 4 at once munching on grass together. can't use rifle unless on private land. public land is shotgun only,3 shells, no larger than #4 fine shot.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.