New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else out there hunt woodchucks?
I've found it to be a great way to practice for deer season. They are plentiful pests that most farmers welcome hunters onto their land to eliminate. And a hunter that trims a landowner's woodchuck problem, and shows he's a " safe " hunter can find his foot firmly in the door when asking permission to return for deer season;)

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been using a Re. Model 7 in .223cal. I shoot it all summer for chucks, then when Pa. deer season come around, I grab my Rem. Model 7 in 7MM-08. Same gun/ scope combination. It's just like practicing all summer with your deer rifle.
For the longer shots, I have an TC Encore in 22-250, with a 14X scope. But it tends to rattle the windows on the smaller farms :(

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The picture I posted in the photo gallery shows my old ( it was Dad's ) Rem. model 788 in .22-250. Since it was made in 1968 ( I believe ) and has sentimental value, I don't shoot it anymore. But it was accurate enough to get the other chuck in the photo at 300+yds, from my deck :D

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
i have killed them with my pellet rifle
Really? Then there must be something wrong with my pellet rifle then. I've shot squirrels with my pellet rifle only to have the BB bounce off them.

David

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
dave pellet riffle use the pellets not the bbs...i shot a bunny with 2 bbs and he just wobbled and finally ran off next time he came around i shot him with a pellet in the head and he didnt move again...my garden was safe

·
Super Moderator
8,616 Posts
I used to shoot them with my 257 Robert's...Ah another gun these kid's never heard of..
Rich, I'm waiting for the PM telling me I can buy it from you :D:D:D

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Nightstalker, I hunt hogs as well. I hunt farms all over Northern Jersey and I use a worked Remington 243 BDL. I also use a 22mag for the close quarters shots. It really is a lot of fun. The long range shots are the most challenging(500 yards). As soon as we get a break from the rain the farmers will begin cutting the fields. Then the fun begins!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
i nailed 2 of them,1 with my 12 gauge #8 lr/ln target load,the other with my nylon 77 .22 lr. last time i saw on any my land was 5 months ago.

i know there's more of them around here, cause the last time i seen any their was 4 at once munching on grass together. can't use rifle unless on private land. public land is shotgun only,3 shells, no larger than #4 fine shot.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts