New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having any luck? Been hearing a few, but unable to pull them in close enough with their hens. My son passed up 4 jakes this morning.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Anyone having any luck? Been hearing a few, but unable to pull them in close enough with their hens. My son passed up 4 jakes this morning.
Yes, I’ve tagged out already. But, it seems they are starting to wander more because most hens seem to be bred. Hang in there…try and mimic the hen and attract at least the “boss” hen. The rest will follow right into your lap. Good luck!!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I’ve tagged out already. But, it seems they are starting to wander more because most hens seem to be bred. Hang in there…try and mimic the hen and attract at least the “boss” hen. The rest will follow right into your lap. Good luck!!!!
Thanks for the advice. Congratulations on your bird! Any pictures?

·
Super Moderator
9,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I stink at posting pics…lol. Otherwise I would post em for ya. And the birds don’t stand a chance against my Ithaca 66 fixed full 30” barrel. I also carry 3 diff hand calls to give em diff tones.
Sounds like a nice set up.
I usually do OK, but bird numbers have been pretty bad on the properties I hunt in north Jersey the last few years.

·
Super Moderator
9,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand…last year they were pushed off by coyotes where I go. I talked to a guy the other day who hunts Zone 1 and he said he’s always had luck up there.
I suspected the coyotes were doing that at times. How there could be a lot of turkey around and then they disappear and finding coyote scat all over the driveway.

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
I noticed when i hunted west milford the turkey were quiet. Lots of coyote , bobcats and foxes. I had a few funnels i would sit and mostly be quiet. A hen cluck now and then.
Since moving south 9 or 10 years ago i have had not much luck with turkey and rarely see them on camera . Mostly see them on route 70 when i am driving lol

·
Registered
106 Posts
Tagged 2 but only harvested 1.... 9 ptr during fall bow and 8 ptr during permit shotgun, didn’t recover him until 2 weeks after the shot, coyotes got him by then. Savage 220 .. 165yd shot ,mule kick and ran off with some does ,no blood or hair , searched for days until one day I saw the birds circling over an area I hadn’t looked , he was there all eaten up. I turned him over to see the shot side and my shot was slightly low of a spine shot and just a little high lungs. He made it about 800-1000 yds from where I shot him
Head Elk Natural material Plant Deer
Plant community Organism Plant Fawn Grass

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tagged 2 but only harvested 1.... 9 ptr during fall bow and 8 ptr during permit shotgun, didn’t recover him until 2 weeks after the shot, coyotes got him by then. Savage 220 .. 165yd shot ,mule kick and ran off with some does ,no blood or hair , searched for days until one day I saw the birds circling over an area I hadn’t looked , he was there all eaten up. I turned him over to see the shot side and my shot was slightly low of a spine shot and just a little high lungs. He made it about 800-1000 yds from where I shot him View attachment 184573 View attachment 184574
Yup, same thing happened to my sons deer. Went to look the next morning and within that short period of time the coyotes found the deer and destroyed it…

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yup, same thing happened to my sons deer. Went to look the next morning and within that short period of time the coyotes found the deer and destroyed it…
It’s amazing how fast they find a kill , a buddy of mine shot a 7 ptr a few years back and he wasn’t certain of his shot so we backed out , went to the trucks for about 3 hrs.. went back in and found him and they had already started in on the tail .. if we let him lay overnight that deer would have been all ripped up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts