New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This deer was taken in NJ on 10/01/05 in Belvidere. I got these pictures from someone at work. I did not see the deer in person, but it looks impressive. It was said to have scored 179 1/2. It is the new state typical record, however, it was taken with a crossbow. I was told that this guy has a bum shoulder, and can no longer pull back a traditional bow. I still think it should be allowed to be admitted to the record books. I blacked out his face and didn't list his name for privacy purposes.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
I was thinking about crossbows the other day while on stand. I had 8 Doe come into a clover plot and could see them 70 yards before they got to me. As they got closer the lead Doe started looking at me and was being very cautious. After about 10 minutes I had all 8 around me and could not draw my bow in fear of being caught moving. If I was using a crossbow in this situation I would already have been ready to fire cause of the lack of having to draw it back.At this point I realized that in this situation I would easily have shot anyone of those deer. My conclusion is that a crossbow is an advantage in that if you see the deer coming and are in position to fire the deer will not as easily pick you off cause you don't have to draw it.
Maybe there should be a category for crossbow killed Bucks so that the hunters can enter them as PY or BC crossbow kills. Just my opinion.
Oh and I did finally kill the lead Doe.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
My father is no longer able to pull back a bow due to having lost an arm ,and large shoulder injury in a work related accident. the arm was re-attached but it obviously will never be the same.
To see a man that loved hunting & the outdoors so much be unable to partake of that was heartbreaking. he is in the process on obtaining a disabled crossbow permit. its the spirit of the outdoors and being ethical that counts, not the weapon used.
is my 300SWM deadlier that your 30-30 because its more powerfull and flatter shooting?
A crossbow allows disabled hunters to continue and enjoy this sport we cherish so much, that should be the point of it all.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I may well have a say in all this by seasons end. That is if I can even get a day to hunt.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
The state record typical was taken with a bow in 1995 and scored 189 4/8.The state has just added a crossbow category for the hunting disabled.Whatever the story is with this buck,its one heck of a buck although I dont think it scores in the 170s

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I'll let you know when I get the trail cam to capture him or I get lucky enough to shoot him.

BTW this crossbow buck is a brute[up]

Gspotter is correct that the record is 189 4/8 Typical for a conventional bow.

B

·
0 Posts
If he has a permit to hunt with crossbow then it should be allowed to be entered[up]

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
That is a beautiful buck...But as Gspotter pointed out, it is not the state archery record. Scott Borden, a friend of mine, still holds the state record from Zone 51 (189+) and he took it with a bow..IMO,Crossbows, if legal implements, should be recognized but they are not archery equipment so this record should not be included in archery records..That being said I do not want to take anything away from this hunters success. He has bagged a buck of a lifetime and the kind that I dream about every day..Congrats to him..

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
It is a nice buck no doubt! Congrats to the hunter. It should be a record in the crossbow catagory.[up]

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Crossbow Typical and non Typical catagories should be set up. Congrats to the hunter. I imagine that same buck walking out out in front of me everytime I am in a tree - have shot it 100 times in my head!

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Definately a Roche deer,not saying that he was trespassing but that is definately a deer that was living on that property.

I doubt that you get the shakes as bad with a crossbow as you would get with a real bow.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
I doubt that you get the shakes as bad with a crossbow as you would get with a real bow.
i wouldn't want to hold the crossbow for a length of time. they are heavy!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts