New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed back down to Greenwood Forrest in the Pine Barrens last Saturday 11/22/2014 to do a little NJ Quail Hunting with my buddy Curt Ryder & his dog "Jake"

Here`s a little video I shot while we hunted - Hope you all enjoy it.

You can see more of my NJ Outdoors Adventures here; NJ Outdoor Adventures with Ken Beam - NJ Outdoors

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiya ruffhills! I`ll tell ya, it`s "quite the hike" for us too, as I live out in Warren County & Curt is in Hunterdon County. Guess we figured it`s about a 120 mile trip for us to get to Greenwood Forrest. We leave at 4:30am...... ha! ha! But what the hell...... Any day huntin` in the NJ Wilderness suits me just fine!

Thanks for checkin` it out -

·
Registered
141 Posts
guys -

Just so you know...there is NO vehicular traffic allowed AT ALL within the quail management area and the sand roads are NOT considered roads for vehicle traffic. If you do see a vehicle during the hunting season, it is either a fire service person or a Game warden. Most of the sand roads are far too narrow in the first place and some of them have sections that require a 4X4 to negotiate. They are much more in the nature of trails and shooting across them has never been an issue, nor should it be.

RayG

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool video. Good shooting too
Hiya Buckeyes11 - Hey thanks a lot! Glad ya liked it! It was only my second time tryin` to shoot with a camera on my head!!!! ha! ha! I think it came out pretty good though.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
guys -

Just so you know...there is NO vehicular traffic allowed AT ALL within the quail management area and the sand roads are NOT considered roads for vehicle traffic. If you do see a vehicle during the hunting season, it is either a fire service person or a Game warden. Most of the sand roads are far too narrow in the first place and some of them have sections that require a 4X4 to negotiate. They are much more in the nature of trails and shooting across them has never been an issue, nor should it be.

RayG
Hiya RayG - Well thanks alot for chimin` in on this thread.......... I`ve been bitin` my lip & keepin` my mouth shut as a few of these "know-it-all" types rant about me shootin` in the road................. Listen to what Ray said guys............ "It ain`t a road!"........... It may appear that way in the clip, but vehicles do not come down these roads. If you ever hunted there, then you would know that it is ok to shoot there as everyone does. Also....... it`s kinda funny that you`re commenting about this.......literally after I shot, a Game Warden did indeed watch the entire scene........ walked up jokingly less than three minutes later, complimenting me on my shooting and inquired as to what "What are you wearing on your head?"............... Had a nice conversation & we both went on our way.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hiya RayG - Well thanks alot for chimin` in on this thread.......... I`ve been bitin` my lip & keepin` my mouth shut as a few of these "know-it-all" types rant about me shootin` in the road................. Listen to what Ray said guys............ "It ain`t a road!"........... It may appear that way in the clip, but vehicles do not come down these roads. If you ever hunted there, then you would know that it is ok to shoot there as everyone does. Also....... it`s kinda funny that you`re commenting about this.......literally after I shot, a Game Warden did indeed watch the entire scene........ walked up jokingly less than three minutes later, complimenting me on my shooting and inquired as to what "What are you wearing on your head?"............... Had a nice conversation & we both went on our way.
if this is directed at me I don't know where i'm coming across as a know it all. I complemented you on the video and was just stating that where I hunt you would get a summons for shooting down a road like that whether the road is opened to traffic or not. it's obvious in the video that vehicles have used that road and you stated yourself that it does get used by fire service, etc. if it's all right with fish and game there then go at it. if there is a possibility of vehicles using the road I would not take that shot. I guess that makes me a know it all[confusedagain]. don't get your panties bunched up thought I was trying to help you out guess I was wrong, my bad.

·
Registered
39 Posts
if this is directed at me I don't know where i'm coming across as a know it all. I complemented you on the video and was just stating that where I hunt you would get a summons for shooting down a road like that whether the road is opened to traffic or not. it's obvious in the video that vehicles have used that road and you stated yourself that it does get used by fire service, etc. if it's all right with fish and game there then go at it. if there is a possibility of vehicles using the road I would not take that shot. I guess that makes me a know it all[confusedagain]. don't get your panties bunched up thought I was trying to help you out guess I was wrong, my bad.
Forget the road, I thought the dog was gonna get shot for cryin out loud.. That dog was awful unsteady. Chased every damn bird up, whereupon the shots were fired right over the thing's head.. Terrible dog work.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey hardtime - ha! ha! Talk about gettin` your panties in a bunch! ha! ha!........ buddy listen....... Yea I do appreciate what you said........ really I do. Like I & RayG said, those old roads where used long ago regularly but aren`t now. And I guess everyone is some sort of critic........ which is fine too. For what it`s worth pal, it wasn`t your post that I was directing that too at all. I`m not here to get into debates & arguments, just want to share & learn about what everyone else is doing hunting & fishing-wise.

Soooooooo fuck it, let`s all be friends & tell some huntin` & fishin` tales & have fun!

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"good boy".......dog drops bird in road at 10 yd line. Sweet!
@ Reddog1 & BentBarrels - Yes...... "Jake" is by far not the best bird dog that my friend has ever had nor trained. It`s not the dog`s fault obviously. He doesn`t really hold point very well......... he did last year, but Curt worked him a lot more than this past off-season obviously. Retrieving-wise........ this year it`s been out the window with that idea too. Won`t retrieve a bird. Again, did last year, but not this year. Yes..... he`s also very unsteady too........ won`t even hunt close this season. Believe me, I didn`t shoot that clip to brag about Jake nor me guys......... just wanted to show some hunters in NJ what other kind of hunting(Quail) that you could get into........that`s all.

Thanks,

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.