New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started predator hunting last year with a buddy of mine and was not successful in harvesting a fox or yote but called them into range but just had trouble connecting with the low light and the nervous fox (shots are around 45-50 yards.) It is a awesome experience calling them in but think we could do better this year.

Will putting out a movement decoy help bring them in a bit closer and make them more comfy with getting into the 30 yards or less range?? Is there a chance they will get more nervous with the moving decoy and calling?

What decoy do you recommend if you were to put one out?

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
shot a handful of foxes under 20 yards without a decoy. We have also been successful with the decoy. I think the decoy helps keep them focused on that movement instead of you raising your gun or anything. Bottom line, I don't think a decoy is necessary but certainly doesn't hurt anything. When I was in the midwest I saw guys hanging a pheasant or duck feather from a stick using a short bit of fishing line. slight movement in the breeze was enough to keep their attention near the caller.

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
40-50 yards should be dead fox. Dead coyote heavy shot and choke and bang flop!
I have had fox practically grab my foxpro! I had a **** dragging it away until i yelled. I use a decoy sometimes like others said cannot hurt.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I have seen the decoy work and also not work. I think if they can see it from out there is works, I also saw where in thick stuff it may have hurt as all of a sudden there is movement close to them, and they stopped dead. I like a feather on a string.

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am willing to try anything! it is a long season. I will try the feather on the string first to see how that works out. I have had no instruction on night time predator hunting so last year I was learning tons every time I went out and this year will be no different!

Thanks for the advise and recommendations guys[up]

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
shot a handful of foxes under 20 yards without a decoy. We have also been successful with the decoy. I think the decoy helps keep them focused on that movement instead of you raising your gun or anything. Bottom line, I don't think a decoy is necessary but certainly doesn't hurt anything. When I was in the midwest I saw guys hanging a pheasant or duck feather from a stick using a short bit of fishing line. slight movement in the breeze was enough to keep their attention near the caller.
[up]

Remember the time we brought Matty's homeade decoy that the big bear almost ate? [ko] Called in severeal on that sit[cry]

As Jon said, decoys do work both night and day but aren't necessary. I had a fox run my decoy and caller over one night. I've also had a fox in the middle of the day almost run me over trying to get to the caller when there was no decoy. Weve also had a bunch of hawks and owls try and eat the decoy. Its pretty nuts to see an owl appear out of nowehere and fly right over your head:D

If you get one, we've had luck with the mojo critter. The only modificaion I'd like to see done to it is adding a remote so you can turn it off nd on from a distance.[up]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts