New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newjersey/ny-bc-nj--huntingaccident1211dec11,0,6099593.story?coll=ny-region-apnewjersey

Man shot by fellow gun club member while deer hunting

December 11, 2005, 1:29 PM EST

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) _ A North Brunswick man was shot by a fellow member of his gun club while hunting deer in a forest in southern Middlesex County, police said.

William Hadzimichalis, 24, was hunting with members of the Old Yorke gun club along Longstreet Road in Monroe Township when a shotgun pellet from another member's gun struck him in the right shoulder, police said. The incident happened just before 11 a.m. Saturday.

Hadzimichalis was treated at the scene by paramedics, then airlifted to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick where he was listed in stable condition Saturday night.

Authorities said no charges have been filed against the person who shot Hadzimichalis, and the person's name was not released, but an investigation is ongoing.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Damn, just one pellet? Right shoulder?

That's the sort of thing your buddy digs out with a knife and then you shove some gauze in there, slap a band-aid, and stfu and go home, not get airlifted and cause a news story.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts

I have to disagree with you on that. It's not the buckshot, or the gun that makes something unsafe, it is the individual hunter. As a matter of fact I will guarantee that a hunter who shoots at something 100 yards away with buckshot will most definately take the same unsafe shot with a slug.

Buckshot, used at proper ranges and fired in safe directions, is an amazingly efficient round. All of the points you bring up above point to the hunter, not the ammunition.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
It is the ammo and the shooter when people try to take extended range shots. Anything more that 30-40 yards is pushing it. There are many guys on this site who claim to take deer at long distances with buckshot.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I agree with bloodtrails. You can shoot a deer at 70 yrds with buckshot.ALWAYS KNOW YOUR TARGET AND BEYOND isn't that we are all told.I think the problem a lot of the time is when you have a club with 50+ people on a drive. I don't want to knock anybody but a lot of the club drives have guy's that don't shoot their gun until shotgun season. JUst like the wharton on youth day there was a full blown out drive.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Don't jump the "gun" yet guys...Too many variables to place any blame...Was the wounded hunter 100 yds away? 300 yds away? Did he have orange on? Was he in the tree stand? Was there a drive going on? Until we know some facts it's anyone guess what happened.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
It's not the buckshot, or the gun that makes something unsafe, it is the individual hunter. As a matter of fact I will guarantee that a hunter who shoots at something 100 yards away with buckshot will most definately take the same unsafe shot with a slug.
I agree Joe, it is ultimately the individual hunter that makes the choice, but I disagree with the rest of your statement...100 yards is not always a bad shot to take with todays slug guns and slugs. With buckshot, it's the move of a moron.

I agree with 230, and while admit it's up to the hunter in each case, buckshot "encourages" hunters to do things they otherwise wouldn't. I know people who would take a 100 yard shot with either, with a slug they probably miss clean, but with buckshot there is a chance a pellet or two get in the deer (which is why they use it in the first place), but that is a dead deer you probably will not find.

Sometimes, buckshot "encourages" the blast and hope syndrome.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
I agree Joe, it is ultimately the individual hunter that makes the choice, but I disagree with the rest of your statement...100 yards is not always a bad shot to take with todays slug guns and slugs. With buckshot, it's the move of a moron.
I agree, I was thinking running shot for some reason. With modern slugs and scopes a 100 yard shot on a stationary target is a chip shot, as long as you know your target and what's beyond.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
there is also the matter of patterning your buckshot, I use a patternmaster choke with 3" premium shells and a 60 yard shot is a killing shot. "a man has to know his limitations"

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I agree with 230, and while admit it's up to the hunter in each case, buckshot "encourages" hunters to do things they otherwise wouldn't. I know people who would take a 100 yard shot with either, with a slug they probably miss clean, but with buckshot there is a chance a pellet or two get in the deer (which is why they use it in the first place), but that is a dead deer you probably will not find.

Sometimes, buckshot "encourages" the blast and hope syndrome.
thank you my point exactly

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Currently Offline Posts: 48
there is also the matter of patterning your buckshot, I use a patternmaster choke with 3" premium shells and a 60 yard shot is a killing shot.
Tell us more about this "Pattern Master" choke.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
It is the ammo and the shooter when people try to take extended range shots. Anything more that 30-40 yards is pushing it
This is very true, I train Police officers for a living, being one myself, I spend a minimum of 10 months out of the year at the range and can tell you that the patterns for Buckshot are HUGE at anything beyond 30-40 yds.
will you hit at longer ranges? with some pellets yes, but you have to remember that every pellet that misses is a stray bullet.
problem with most shooters is they forget that the shot they take in the woods at game is not from the same benchrested position that they sighted their gun at, others figure that some tree will catch the stray pellets.
If you shoot with buckshot, next time you go to the range try a 100 yd shot see what happens.
I do not condemm buckshot, sometimes depending on the hunt I use it myself, but one needs to know what your weapon is truly capable of under the circumstances.

·
Registered
550 Posts
i use a pattern master choke on my remington sp10..The choke is amazing..It is well worth the $80 it cost...If your gun doesnt shoot buckshot that well..Buy that choke, you wont be dissapointed..

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
I too have a patternmaster choke for my 2 Browning 10 gauges.It delivers a mean pattern w/ Federal 00 Buck or #1 Buck.I also have a Rhino choke,which is the recomended choke used for custom Nitro Ammo(mostly known for their high performance turkey loads that guarantee out pattern anything else on the market).

For my gun Nitro choke/load combo of 000 Buck(not 00) averages 100% patterns of all 14 pellets in a 24" circle at 70 yards. Most of the guns I've seen won't do that well at 40 yards(that is provided the shooter actually patterns his gun,many as we know,don't bother to pattern it in the first place).

http://www.nitrocompany.com/pattern.htm

I know what my gun does out to 70-75 yards because I've patterned it w/ different loads and chokes.I'm very confident at 75 yards but I agree people should'nt be spraying buckshot all over the woods.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was "zinged" in Hammonton Creek WMA two years ago during 6 day. It's not a nice feeling. The guy was shooting up the road at a deer that passed between us...It was a doe. All I heard was the sound of the shot whizzing past my head. He appeared moments afterwards. I reminded him about knowing your target and beyond. It didn't seem to phase him though. Luckily no one was hurt.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.