New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many on here have had an opportunity blown on stand due to posting on here while hunting, texting, or using an approved electronic device for any reason. I can say I personally have fallen victim. I would like to leave my crutch in my truck but for safety reasons I really like to have a phone on me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was busted winter bow trying to sneak my phone back into my pocket. Oh well now I know but I'll probably be playing with it tomorrow.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Yup, Illinois last year, biggest buck I saw all week. It was all over in less than 5 seconds. It still haunts me.....[mad][wallmad][mad][wallmad]:upset:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Doe with fawns in tow walked under my stand while I was checking email last year. Went right from upwind to down, and as soon as they got on the other side they knew something was up and took off. Didn't notice them until they were right under me. Wouldn't have taken the shot anyway. But I couldn't believe how quiet they were.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
That would mean the deer would have to be close to you when the phone rings, right.?? I have not had that problem, and I keep it on silent anyway

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
If you hunt long enough you will be haunted by the big buck that got away for whatever reason, change of wind, missed shot, you will never forget it. Only the young can use the phone excuse lol as this problem didn't exist a few years back. Can you say phone booth[rofl]

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Blown on stand? C 'mon, theres ladies on here...sheesh!
C'mon...I'm sure there was a lady on the stand as well...then again???[spy]

·
Premium Member
4,189 Posts
I actually can steal WiFi from one of the McMansions surrounding my stands. If I hunt Sunday I usually stream the Giants game if its an early game. Haven't been busted yet while using my phone. But I can definitely say I've been distracted by, it looked down and had deer in my set. Then was like "ohh shit" my bow is hanging all the way over there, how do I grab it and stand up without being busted?

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
A few years ago I was on stand at about 2pm and got a call from Ken (Browning10ga on here). It was windy so I answered it and was talking to him when I just happened to look behind the stand and there was a good buck 5 yards away walking right under me at a good pace. I whispered "big buck" into the phone, threw it into my pocket, turned, grabbed my bow off the hanger, drew, aimed and shot the buck quartering away at 15 yards, about 2 steps from getting behind some laurels and blowing a shot opportunity. Close as I've come to messing up due to a phone.

·
Registered
188 Posts
^^ lol, a phone is nothing more than an electronic leash! I miss those quiet days on stand so starting this season it gets shut off while hunting.

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Yep...This morning..received a text and as I was reading it. I looked up and a doe was walking past my stand at 15 yards....bow on hook....phone in hand...She got away.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts