New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was just wondering on the current laws of using a range in NJ

Im currently a NYC resident, Staten Island.

I recently went on a trip to FL and went to a range out there ( First time shooting ) all you needed was a driver license and to sign a waiver.

Do I need a permit or anything to use / rent a gun at a range out in NJ?

Im not looking to buy a firearm just go to a range occasionaly. And dont feel like going through the NYC Permit BS just to use a range out here once and a while Not to mention the $400 application

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Public ranges at WMA's require you to have a valid NJ hunting license.

Privately owned ranges vary but nothing is required other than what they require (fees). No NJ permit of any kind required.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha, were not hicks no more all the brooklyn-ites all moved here and now its just a disaster of a island. Also

But yea the laws here are so crazy here pretty much any gun store / range dont even want to talk to you unless you have permit in hand.

BTW shoreshot doesnt look to far at all maybe i will try to check it out

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
all the brooklyn-ites all moved here
Most of my old Brooklyn friends skipped SI and moved into central NJ. Guess it's still a short drive back to mom's kitchen.;) Shore Shot will probably be one-stop shopping for you. Good luck and welcome to the website.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
A hunting license does not allow you to shoot at a range. A hunting license only allows you to hunt, not target shoot. Maybe WMA's have a special access rule, but most public ranges have been shut down or are heading in that direction due to cut backs and the EPA and lead issues.

I was already informed the state is saying they will reopen ranges that are to be closed, but will use the excuse they do not have it in the budget to re open them. I was also informed the state has no intention to fill those who retire. At some point the state is going to try and engulf the money which has been set aside for ranges and conservation.

·
Registered
747 Posts
A hunting license does not allow you to shoot at a range.
A hunting license is what is *required* to use the wma ranges. *One* person in the group must have one.

You can access highways to I-78 from either bridge and that would get you to the Clinton WMA range.

Of course, there are no guns to rent.

In Bergen County is Thunder Mountain Trap .... nice people... good for beginners, everyone ... if you buy their ammo, they lend guns for free (at least it used to be that way.)

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
There's a State practice range out by Flatbrook-Roy WMA where you can shoot clays, muzzle loaders, .22's, slug/buckshot guns and archery equip. A group can shoot so long as one member of the group has a valid hunting license on their person. There is no fee nor supervision other than CO's stopping by to say "hi". I can't speak for the other ranges. The reason for the hunting license is that this range is suppose to facilitate gun and bow hunting practice. You can only practice with gear legal to hunt with in NJ. Actually, it's a great place to bring a kid and hand-throw some clays. Anyhow, that's what we were referring to.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Thanks for the link. It would seem that it contradicts itself by disallowing buckshot then allowing it a few lines down. The shotgun clay range is seperate from the muzzle-loader range which is where you would also sight-in your shotgun for slugs or buckshot. They don't want people shooting buckshot at clays I guess. A little confusing but who cares, there's no fee 'cause WE paid in advance for it. BTW, I see what you're referring to with the closures at some locations, sorry to see it. Throwing-clays is my favorite thing to do with my son there.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Thanks for the link. It would seem that it contradicts itself by disallowing buckshot then allowing it a few lines down. The shotgun clay range is seperate from the muzzle-loader range which is where you would also sight-in your shotgun for slugs or buckshot. They don't want people shooting buckshot at clays I guess. A little confusing but who cares, there's no fee 'cause WE paid in advance for it. BTW, I see what you're referring to with the closures at some locations, sorry to see it. Throwing-clays is my favorite thing to do with my son there.
Buckshot is never allowed at the clay target ranges .... only fine shot. Buckshot loads are powerful, and deadly at greater distances ... much more than bird shot ... so they want them shot at a berm or other backstop, with the muzzy's and rimfires.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hey Coot09, You are correct, Thunder Mountain is a fantastic place to shoot Skeet or Trap, and the staff is stellar, however it is in Passaic County, not Bergen (inside of Ringwood State Park).

I do a bunch of shooting at PA State Game lands. You can shoot all day long and not pay a single $.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
range out by Flatbrook-Roy WMA where you can shoot clays, muzzle loaders, .22's, slug/buckshot guns and archery equip
[up]
Don't forget to mention one range is for skeet and archery, the other range for muzzle loaders,slugs and 22's is farther up the road a piece, coming from 206 that is , vica versa if your coming the other way.[patcheye]

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Just remember, there are no state run ranges for handguns in NJ[down]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.