New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved to Howell in the beginning of Decemebr and just got my FID card. I have a few questions about the rules. I tried going to the NJ state police website but couldnt find the answers. First, what are the rules about going back and forth to the range does it have to unloaded and locked in a case with the ammo seperate? Second, what are the rules about having it loaded in the house? Can it be loaded or does it have to be locked up unloaded with the ammo seperate? Thanks guys i appreciate any help. I know i cant take the pistol hunting in upstate NY anymore which sucks.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
has to be "fastened" not locked. Unloaded of course and the ammo seperate. Also you can only be going to and from the range or hunting. Dont get caught going to the mall with a gun in the back of your truck. In your house it can be loaded in your night stand unless you have children then it must be in a safe.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you appreciate that. What do you mean by fastened? is that in the car on the way to the range? Also, if pulled over on the way to and from the range do you have to notify the officer you have a licensed pistol in the car?

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Also, if pulled over on the way to and from the range do you have to notify the officer you have a licensed pistol in the car?
Absolutely not.

Now if he asks "do you have a gun in the car" then you should tell the truth.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
you can interpret the law anyway you want. NJ firearms laws are vague and confusing on purpose. It reads...

Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

If you have a car it should be in the trunk.. Does not have to have a lock on it cuz the trunk has a lock so fastened or securely tied can mean zip tie , rope, strap etc etc.. If you own a pickup truck or suv with no trunk then you need to put a lock on the container. It is not your responsibility to notify law enforcement that you have a legally transported firearm in the trunk. If you do tell them be prepared to spend a couple hours on the side of the road for no reason.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
unless you have children then it must be in a safe.
You don't have to have a safe. You just need to make sure it's not accessable or has some type of lock.

For example, if you have an infant, storing it on a high shelf in not accessable.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
yeah id be careful about that... god forbid something happens you would be charged im sure. Safe, gun cabinet, trigger lock all would work. Not a smart idea just putting it high on a shelf, what if we have another earthquake?? [patcheye]

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I keep mine loaded cuz I have no kids

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
lol any shelf besides the ones in the nursery

1 - 12 of 12 Posts