New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I nailed a young one at 8 AM this morning. I will post pictures, more information later, and the story later. Just wanted to start the topic rolling.

Zone 7 Rockaway River WMA
2.5 inch beard
11.5 pounds
1/4 inch spurs

Today was the best hunt ever. [up]

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Oh oh....According to the countdown clock on this board,you shot the bird early....Oh well....congratulations anyway

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
oooops nevermind...I read the clock wrong...It says AGO.....Sorry

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well... my original position/spot was gonna be just over 150 yards behind the houses. However, its not like deer hunting where I am in a tree shooting down to the ground.

So...I played it safe and moved at least another 50 yards back and in the middle of a natural gulley.

Story coming...

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Congrats Drag!! I was thinking about you turkey hunters today. good luck to the rest of you.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Congrats Drag![up]

My morning sucked. Spot I scouted for a few weeks had a truck in it at 5:00am. Backup spot had a truck in it by the time I got there too.

Wandered off into semi known territory, got a bird to gobble, worked him closer and BANG......someone cut me off. They must have worked in on him when they heard the bird gobbling.

Oh well, thats the same exact thing that happened last year on the second day of the season. Too many dang hunters where Im at.

Felt good to be back out in the woods with my bow though, and the thunderous gobbles really make you feel alive. So maybe tomorrow morning.

Best of luck to the rest of you---Matt:)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Well... my original position/spot was gonna be just over 150 yards behind the houses. However, its not like deer hunting where I am in a tree shooting down to the ground.

So...I played it safe and moved at least another 50 yards back and in the middle of a natural gulley.
Better to be safe than sorry.[up]

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hunting pressure is a pain to deal with, especailly when turkey hunting. You pull up on a spot and see another truck, you don't know where they went or where they set up so you look for another spot. I would hate to blow somebodies chance at a gobbler because I walked in on them... and I would hate to have it happen to me. That's why I look for the road less travelled.:D

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
I saw a few and heard alot of Gobbling in Zone #2 This morning. No shots. Saw about 10 deer. I had a turkey walk past my location in almost total darkness. Strange. Maybe tomorrow???

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Jrhunt where are you at in zone 2 i heard alot of gobbling myself but there were also alot of guys out.
I had a nice gobbler come to within 70 yards he just stood there gobbling and then turned around and left tomorrows another day.
Congrats Drag nice first bird[up]

·
Registered
568 Posts
Congrats Drag
You broke the ice! I had 2 gobbling tis morning they met some hens in a field and off they went to do some business. I will try again in the morning.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys. Next week (and every Sat) I am "trophy" hunting... trying to get one for JerseyJim... and bringing along my 8 year old nephew. Heck even if we don't see one...the gobbles should get the little guy's heart pumping! [up]

1 - 20 of 35 Posts