New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a night vision rifle scope for some night time yote hunting. I've looked at a number of scopes online, particularly the ATN models, but I'm hesitant to spend a hefty chunk of change without first experiencing what the capabilities are. I've found a place in Manhattan where I can by them but there's no way to sample them first. I'd also like to know the practical differences between the generation 1 tubes and the generation 2's and 3's. Also, I can't seem to find a night vision scope more powerful than 4x magnification. A 4x seems inadequate for a 22-250 but I should be able to considerably closer to my prey in the dark. i know this is a rambling message but I would really appreciate some views of those experienced in yote huntin and or night vision gear. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
How about wearing the the night vision monocular and looking thru your scope.I think cabelas sells them.If it dont work,send it back.

PETE

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
are they legal in NJ? just plain legal, never mind OK for hunting.[confused]

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Generaton 1: Cheaper and not best picture
" 2: $$$ and better sight picture
" 3: $$$$ best picture!

I'm also not sure if its legal in NJ.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
You can't use a Night Vision Monocular with a regular scope. There is not enough eye relief. You need to mount a long eye relief scope down further on the barrel ( scout mount ), or use a Red dot scope.
Standard Red Dot scopes do not work the best. At their lowest setting, the dot is still TOO bright and tends to blur the target.
AimPoint makes a Red Dot scope that has 3 night vision dot settings.

The combination that works the best is:

ITT 6015 Night monocle ( 3rd Gen. + ) $3000

Aimpoint 3M Scope ( Military) $ 350

Infra red light (invisable to the naked eye) $90

I have both set up for use if you ever want to try them out.
Leftovers from my PD days :D

·
Registered
621 Posts
Was thinking of putting an Inferred night vision self-compensating range finder and elevation compensator scope with Laser Targeting Red dot back up, on my Shoot gun when I realized It might be overkill for NJ Hunting conditions of Close Range shots,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts