New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out crabbing w my brother yesterday at Beaver Dam in Newport NJ and had a pretty good day despite the tides. By the time we got on the water and dropped anchor, there was only like an hour of incoming tide left and immediatey started putting keepers in the basket and had a quarter bushell in a hour then the tide slacked and it shut off like a switch. After the tide started moving out again , the crabs turned back on but the tide was too swift for the traps so my brother had a great technique where he jigged a bucktail toppped w strip of bunker and had a crab on almost every 60 seconds and I just let him do his thing and netted for him all afternoon. He also caught a 15in flounder in 4 foot of water and we had a few shorts in the traps. It was a beautiful day on the water and we had a great day . The bugs also left us alone which was a huge plus. Next week should be even better with the incoming tide all morning as long as the crabs dont shed w the moon next weekend.

Ready to go

My brother all psyched to go

beautiful day on the water

A nice start in under an hour

One of a few shorty flounder caught in the traps

A short flounder my brother caught on his bucktail in 4 foot of water

·
Registered
17,065 Posts
Steve, nice pics and good catch. [up][up]

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We also saw a bald eagle circling the marsh all afternoon as well as a black colored eagle. What an awesome thing to see.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I used to crab at beaver dam all the time when I was growing up. Then when the new owners took over it was never the same. They dumped off everyone in one spot and you had to row to leave the crowd. Stopped going when I bought my boat about 8 yrs ago.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then when the new owners took over it was never the same.
I've been going for over 30 years and I noticed a big difference w the new owners. The old owners would open the office at 5:00am get everyone signed in and paid and load up the boats to be ready to roll at 6 on the button for the first tow. The new people make you wait out in the parking lot until 6 and wont let you in to pay any ealier ,then make everyone stand in line single file one at a time to pay with only one person at the desk and was taking thier time about it. Alot of people were saying how they should speed up the sign in process and get the customers on the boat and ready to roll by 6am like the old owners did. I was suprised that they were just sitting around inside the office at 5:30 and while people would come up to the door w money in hand to pay early and the told them to stand outside for a half hour until 6. Doesnt make sense if to do it this way and take your time when people are all lined up w money in hand, especially when you run a seasonal business. The kids running the tow boats were pretty helpful I must say but I did noticed they clustered everyone up in tight groups and we did a good deal of rowing to get away from the pack.

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
[up][up]

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
whats a day cost out there and i am assuming you bring your own traps?
$35 bucks for a wooden boat 2 person max
45 for a 3 person fiberglass skiff
55 for a 4 person fiberglass skiff

I brought my own traps and they work well when the current is slow ideally on the incoming tide , then we switched to handlines and a fishing rod baited with a bucktail and bunker strip that worked so well, that is what im using next time out. Bunker is also the best bait and I save the dead ones from the livewell from my last striper trip and freeze em.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
I was thinking of going here on Sunday... but I have never been. I usually go to Captain Mike's.

I do not like the fact you get towed with no motor.

I also do not like the fact about what you stated with getting there early.

Are you able to compare the two?

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was thinking of going here on Sunday... but I have never been. I usually go to Captain Mike's.

I do not like the fact you get towed with no motor.

I also do not like the fact about what you stated with getting there early.

Are you able to compare the two?
If your going Sunday then call to make your reservation TODAY, trust ,me on this one. I'm not familiar w capt mike's but this is one of the best creeks to crab in the area. The currents are very managable in that spot and the crabs are thick. Some of the neighboring places have too swift a tide to hold bottom without your gear getting messed up and they are more expensive to boot. Just show up early and stand outside the office door 10 minutes to six and try to be the first group to sign in , that's all. It's not too bad getting towed out and having a boat without a motor because you only have to row 50-100 yds to get away from the cluster of boats to get some breathing room and it's too shallow there in alot of areas to have a motor because if you dont know the creek well, you would have people stuck in the mud flats everywhere.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
[up][up]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.