New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a long, hard and unsuccessful season. Many days, hours, sweat, and hard work put in the woods with hopes to shoot a good buck. Passing up many young bucks, a horrible 10 day hunt in Illinois and no luck in New Jersey. My luck has finally changed. At 6:25 this morning I heard loud branches breaking. I knew it was a deer. I immediately stood up and looked to my right in that direction. Shortly after I saw a big body and white bone 100 yards out. I knew it was a shooter. I prepared for the shot, hoped he would come down the pipe and he did. Over excited and pumped up, I tried to calm myself down. At 6:45, I grunted 5 loud times to get him to stop where I made a 25 yard shot and watched the bright red nocturnal and carbon express hit it's mark. The Hoyt Maxxis drove the G5 monetec right through his shoulder and into the other. He didn't go no more than 45 yards and piled up. I wasn't sure of how big or what he really was, as I kept my eyes off his rack to remain calm. When I got down and walked over to him, I realized it was the buck I nicked named Sky Scraper. It was a buck my dad had an encounter with and was after. I was stoked but had to break the news to my pops who was 600 yards away in another stand we've had him coming to daily. I was a little disappointed in his body size, as the trail cam pics had him looking a lot bigger. Needless to say, he Dressed out at 130Lbs and I was shocked after taping him out at 118 5/8. He had great mass all the way out to his G3's. I'm not quite sure of his age but I know he is old by all the white in his face. I'm send his lower jaw out for aging. I'm truly thankful for putting a nice one on the ground.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, that is my fathers. No crossbow for me. I only use a compound and have no desire to use a crossbow. As for my father, he has a disabled arm keeping hum from being able to use a compound.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.