New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NewJerseyHunter.com 3-D open league!

NJDiverDan came up with a great idea. Its very simple but should be a LOT of fun, so read on.

As many of you already know, every fourth Sunday, the division of fish and wildlife supplies us with a free 3D range at Pequest. Our plan is to keep score on the course as we shoot, and post back here. Tallying up the scores to see who wins. I think there are three shoots left this year, so if you can make it out to one of them, that would be great, keep track of your score and post it here. If it takes off, we can get more into it next year and expand, possibly including other shoots, etc.

For those of you who arent familiar with it, the course takes approx. one hour to complete with two other shooters, and consists of 14 or 15 foam 3D targets (deer, bear, turkey & coyotes). There is a steel deer at the end of the course, but this is not a required target, and not scored.

The rules are simple, follow the course rules set out by NJDFW, and have a good time.

However, scoring will differ from the usual 3-D shoot.

Since we are all hunters, Dan and I decided it would be better to modify the scoring to promote good shot placement and shot discretion.

All shots are to be taken within close proximity to the wooden bow holders (stake). No closer, and no further. This is mainly for safety reasons, but also puts everyone on an even playing field.

SCORING SHOTS:

Shots within, or touching, the eight (8) ring (which is the large circle or vital line) are still worth 8 points.
Shots within, or touching, the ten (10) ring (which is the smaller circle inside the 8) are still worth 10 points.

*Shots in the body, head or legs, but NOT within, or touching, the 8 ring are NEGATIVE 5 points. (Subtract from your score)
This is because a deer hit outside the vitals is not something we want! (Angled shots are not taken into consideration, you will have to hit the target in the vital markings to score well, but in real life situations, you will want to aim slightly further back, aiming for the opposite shoulder in most cases.)

Misses are worth ZERO (0) points.

Passing a shot is worth two (2) points. This is to promote good shot choices, some people may be uncomfortable with a shot, therefore, they can skip it and still earn points. Just remember to do the same on living animals!

We are on the honor system here, and there are no prizes, but if this takes off, maybe next year we can have a NJH hat or shirt for the winner or something like that. Using the total score of your best three shoots or something. We'll see though, lets just see what happens this time around!

If you can make it out this Sunday, the 28th, the course is open from 10-3 at the Pequest Fish Hatchery. (Same exact shoot as the day of the picnic if you were there). Dan and I will be there around 10am, so if you want to join us and shoot, come on out. If you cant....just try to get out there and shoot it anytime between 10 and 3.

If you have any questions or ideas regarding this.....email me at [email protected]

Hope to see some of you out there! Have a good one----Matt[up]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Good idea, but I will have to wait to get a little better. Although I would end up with 28 points for passing them all.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HAHAHA....you never know, you may win with that score.:D

Actually the shots are mostly between about 12-20 yards. So after Thursday, you could probably shoot the course pretty well. The furthest is over 30, but I wont tell you how far. A little hint: Further than 28 yards. LOL! Dan knows, his arrow was about 10 yards shy....HINT HINT!;):D

Oh yeah, what do you guys think? No rangefinders till after the shot! Right?

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
you may win with that score
I'm hopeful, but I have seen you and Ian shoot. I have a ways to go. Hopefully after Thursday though.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Chiming in here...

Thanks for posting this up Matty.

I was wondering about the rangefinder aspect. In most 3d they are a no-no, but for hunting??? Since we are changing the scoring for hunting, should we allow all the gear you would use when hunting?

mpemt24, the course is pretty close, which is great for beginners. However, what is nice it that the targets are fairly brushed in, making the shots somewhat realistic to NJ hunting (without the treestand).

d

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Good idea I have another one. How about an indoor winter league. Perhaps at Bordy's or some other place with an indoor range. Lincoln Park Archers used to have one that was open to non-club members I don't know if that still exists.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
The owls nest in Alpha has an indoor league during the winter. I think they only have around 16 yards, but it really puts the pressure on to hit the X.

We could do a shoot the league closest to you, and then post results for the New Jersey Hunter league?

-d

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an idea I got from another site for that, I will post it up later when i have more time. You guys can see what you think about it.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
ttt

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
NJDiverDan, where you live? I live in P'burg. I saw you post
The owls nest in Alpha has an indoor league during the winter. I think they only have around 16 yards, but it really puts the pressure on to hit the X.
So do you live close?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds pretty cool, I'm planning on being there sunday morning probably around quater of 10 or so.

About the range finders, I dont recal ever useing one on an actual deer, more just when I get up in the stand I check a few markers and I'm set.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So its a complete rematch then! I better make up some more arrows![cool]

Then again, I'll only need one this time!:p;):D

I do it the same way KZ does, so I vote no rangefinders until after the shot, this allows you to guess, shoot, check, and improve your yardage judging skills if you are off.

For those of you interested, I will type up that indoor league thing tonight....and post it up later.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I think I am in just have to make sure the wife has no plans.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let me know what you guys think of this for the spot league. You can shoot the spots indoors or out, in your backyard or in your basement (if you have a 20 yard long basement) at a shop or at a friends house. Doesnt matter where you shoot it, its just for fun, and on the honor system again.

Sound good?

New Jersey Hunter "Indoor" Spot league.

Ok, since you guys wanted something to do in the winter, or heck anytime....we can now have a spot league too.:D

Scores must be posted by Sunday evening for that weeks session. This gives you an entire week to fit the shoot into your schedule. We will shoot once a week for 8 weeks, and tally the scores from six of your best weeks. (this enables people to miss up to two shoots and still compete)
The shooter with the most points (from six shoots) will win. If there is a tie, a *shootout will decide the winner.

The rules are as follows:

You must use the target that will be supplied via a link (print it out each week). Or if all goes well, it should show up at the bottom of this write up. Before printing, check to make sure the line on the bottom is approx. 9" long. If not, figure out how to make it that size.

You must shoot from a distance of 20 yards.

Each round will consist of 30 shots. You may shoot up to 5 warm up shots before you begin scoring. A perfect round score would be 300. A perfect season score would be 1800. If anyone gets a full season 1800 we either know you are cheating, or you should go to vegas! OMG

Scoring goes as follows;

10X, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 0 (miss)

*Keep track of X counts, because they are the deciding factor in what would otherwise be a tie. If thats not enough to break a tie, a shootout will occur, in which the tied shooters shoot a full round(s) until one person beats the other shooter in score.

Finally the most important rule; Have fun!

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
make it fair for traditional shooters Matty....

You mean the 3D shoot? Suggest to me how I can make it more fair, and I may ammend the rules.;)

If you want, we can give trad shooters a ten point handicap, or we can give them more points for skipped targets. I honestly dont know exactly what you are looking for, or how to make it more fair, so you will have to make suggestions. I will have to consult with my panel of judges as well, that would be you guys Diverdan and Jordan....dont look so surprised or they wont believe we know what we're doing. LOL:D

·
3,413 Posts
At 3-D shoots the max yardage for traditional gear is 25 yrds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will have to consult with my panel of judges as well, that would be you guys Diverdan and Jordan....dont look so surprised or they wont believe we know what we're doing

*Looks up, stops trying to make a bow out of tooth picks*

Yeah I think I know what I'm doing. ;)
This sunday I'll bring my range finder and see how many targets are farther than 25 yrds i dont believe theres more than 3 targets any farther once we see that we can work out the propper handicap points would be to even it out.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I want to do it but I need a jet pack I shoot a pendulum.
Luknikk, if you cant make it, and your son Ryan wants to come out and shoot it again, I can bring him along. He's a great kid, lots of help, and very polite. Just let me know.

*Looks up, stops trying to make a bow out of tooth picks*
:D Now thats my kind of humor!:D

Also, now that I understand the basic handicap for trad shooters, we will implement something. Maybe they can use their three best scores from the course, for the three designated "far" targets. (Or however many far targets there are)

Would that be fair?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts