New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently recieved my Firearms Id card and my father also. He had a rifle he baught in Pennsylvania in 1970s. What paper work would I need to take it to the range? Would I only need my FID card?

·
Registered
101 Posts
To legally transport a rifle/shotgun to and from a range (without deviation) you don't need anything.

The FID allows you to drive to the range, stop for lunch, gas, pickup friends, etc. as long as the rifle is unloaded. No other paperwork is required, but use a bit of discretion (and careful driving) as you could always bump into the "wrong" cop at a traffic stop, etc.

However, if you have hollow point ammunition or a handgun, you CANNOT deviate from home to the range and back, even with an FID

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so as long as I don't have hollow point. Which I dont. The FID is fine. I don't need any regerstration of the gun or anything?

·
Registered
17,902 Posts
There is no such thing as a free range.. No you can not shoot your rifle at makepeace range.

·
Premium Member
4,189 Posts
Firearm registration is voluntary in NJ for any guns brought here when you moved, but I don't know anybody that's ever done so.
Ohhh I know someone on this forum that does this!!!!!!! Lol....

·
Premium Member
4,189 Posts
And BTW you can shoot hollow point ammo at a range, or Hunting, or have in your home for home defense.

If your talking about going to a state rifle range in NJ of which their are 5 statewide that I know of open to rim fire rifles, shotgun slugs, muzzle loader or air rifle. You must be in possession of a valid current NJ hunting license, or be with someone that has one in your shooting party. Also Center fire rifles are not allowed at these ranges. So I assume your bringing a .17 or .22lr? Bringing daddy's .30-06 is going to be a problem if your caught.

·
Premium Member
4,189 Posts
Yes, but the transport restrictions for it are the same as for handguns, basically. So don't leave it in the car.

Don't forget about .22LR hollow points in your rifle bag...
Yes you have to police your rounds carefully, one bullet falls on the floor of your vehicle out of a bulk pack and you can have a big problem if your pulled over on your morning ride to work. I keep all my ammo inside a separate ammo bag every time I go to the range. I never keep it with my gun cases or in my range gear bag. I treat that ammo bag like it's radio active while in the car.

Reactions: jerseyhunter

·
Premium Member
4,189 Posts
Do I need anything special to shoot it at the range?
Probably eye and ear protection, just about the only requirement at every range. Some private ranges have you participate in a safety briefing prior to shooting on your first visit. Just bring your drivers license and FPID card. State WMA range also bring your hunting license.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Holy crap, i can't believe nobody mentioned that YOU DONT NEED TO CARRY YOUR FPID!
I brought this up in another thread regarding long gun transport. The law specifically states that you must have "acquired" a FPID, not that you must carry/present it.

Although carrying it would hopefully prevent you spending a night in jail until you CAN provide proof of your FPID.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts