New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there all, thought I would introduce myself and ask some questions!

I am a happily married mom of three, interested in learning to hunt. I am also a disabled vet, and as I understand it that means I get a break on permits and things, which is nice 'cause they are expensive in NJ.

I am a terrible shot (ex-officer) on the 9mm they "taught" me on, and haven't gone to a range in 4 or so years. So I suspect my first step in learning how to hunt is figuring out what to hunt with and then becoming proficient at it through target practice.

I live in northern Monmouth County, and work twice a week in Warren County, pretty close to the Pequest DF&W place.

So where do I start? Are there any women on this forum? How does one get into hunting as an adult? There is no hunting culture in my family!

Thanks and happy new year all!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hello and welcome to NJH , You can start by going online at NJfishandwildlife.com and click on hunter education program all the info is there to take the NJ hunters education course and sign up ASAP .If you want to hunt this fall .You may want to start out with a 20 gauge shotgun .I hope my info helped you ? Good luck . ;):p

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
First off, thank you for your service and welcome to the site.

You'll need to take a Hunter Education Course it's listed here on this link. http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/hunted.htm

And you are right... Vets with a "Service Connected Disability" can get theirs free. Link. http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/dvinfo.htm

With that I wouldn't worry to much on "there is no hunting culture in my family" because there are plenty of folks here and groups that can get you out there to help you accomplish your next adventure.

BTW, Happy New Year to you too.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Welcome
Thanks for your service...
Spend as much time as you can in the woods, read, listen, and most of all have fun.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
So where do I start?
What weapon would you like to use? Bow, crossbow or shotgun. Is there anyone who's willing to help you practice? Do you need adaptive equipment to hold/handle your weapon?
Are there any women on this forum?
Yes
How does one get into hunting as an adult?
Again, I hope even though there is no hunting culture in your family one would be willing to help you practice so you can accomplish your next adventure. And like I said before, after you have a license there are plenty of groups that help disabled vets out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome all!

I am going to start the hunter education course.

I looked on line and there is a gun club in Jackson, do a lot of hunters belong to gun clubs? Is that where one practices and becomes proficient? The Army didn't spend a lot of time training me in my sidearm (I was in MEDCOM). And I wasn't that good with the Vietnam era M-16s [confusedagain]

I suspect I would start with a shotgun. It has been a long time since I tried to pull a bow, and even though I have 2 40# kids, I don't feel like I have a ton of upper arm strength, but I am really working on it.

I don't need any adaptions to hold a weapon, I have a leg injury. It isn't anything serious, until it is, and I am in a boot/brace for three weeks, like now. Sigh.

I signed the family up to go to the GSOSS, so I think that might be a pretty good place to start.

·
Banned
528 Posts
welcome WE SALUTE YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE[up]
first let me say it great to have women that hold an interest in hunting on our site msgrit will surely help you out with anything you have questions about she also has a few youngun under her wing and she seems to be learnin them quite well

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
welcome to the site and for your sevice their are several gals on the site get a 20 ga combo with a cantiliever slug barrel put a good scope on it and hit the range and bow if intrested get what you can aford or a cross bow if you were disabled on active duty you might be entitled to hunt the milatary bases
earl lake hurst and picatiny arsenal they are all loaded with deer

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Welcome to the site and Thank you very much for your service!

I can attest to Ms Grit and how wonderful she is (Yes Ms Grit I am going to practice this year!) I can also say there are people here that are a part of the wounded warrior prodject and another member that started a program called hunters helping heros. I am positive that there will be pleanty of people that are more than willing to help you in one way or another. Once again thank you for keeping use Free and protecting our rights!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts