New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
November 18, 2005 -- NEW York's woodlands will be greeted with a barrage of gunfire come sunrise tomorrow as hunters begin the fall harvest of white-tailed deer throughout the southern tier of the state.
As hunters drag out their deer from the woods they should think what it was like for the successful hunters in Pennsylvania's fifth modern day elk season, which ended last Saturday. The 40 hunters awarded licenses were selected in a Sept. 24 public drawing from a field of more than 20,000 entrants.

Of the 40, 35 were successful taking 10 antlered and 25 antlerless elk.

The largest antlered elk, in terms of weight and the largest rack, was an 818-pound, 10x7 taken on Nov. 7 (opening day of the season) by Kenneth Mountain. Can you imagine trying to drag over 800 pounds of elk through the woods?

There was one lucky New Yorker in the draw, 58-year-old Joseph Millan of Staten Island, who was also successful in the field and took a 5x6 bull on Nov. 11.

There seems to be no shortage of black bears in New York as bowhunters are on track to break last season's record. Southern Zone archers reported taking 139 black bear as of Tuesday and, as those reports continue to come in, there is a very good chance they will surp [no swearing please] last year's kill of 140. As it stands now, Sullivan County leads with 37, Ulster County reports in with 28, followed by Delaware County with 26, Orange County with 22 and Greene County with 19.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/31456.htm

G

·
wish I was up there this weekend hunting the 145 acres we have in WAVERLY, NY....Would have a great time with lots of laughing with my best friend buckfever, but other things came up that I can't be far from home. Next year we won't be hunting up there, cause we will be in IOWA

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Hope my father-in-law has some luck. He hasn't gotten one in about 7 years. All he sees are does. However, I think he needs to spend more time at his cabin and scout. He only goes up there and moves the fields. I would be in the woods at different times during the day. Work and scout. They are up there. I think that would be the best bet for him to be successful.

G

·
That 145 acres we hunt up there is so thick, It's more for buckshot then slugs. One local guy is allow to bowhunt when we aren't there, and he looks out for tresspassers, and he always says this property is so hot for big deer cause it's thick, and lots of open fields around and this is only thick woods around. The problem is this, we think the locals drive it a day or two before gun season, pushing the deer off.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
My father-in-law has problems with locals too. He never seens them on the property but is borders state land. They drive the hell out of it and the locals can get doe tags. The locals apparently have a shoot 1st, check later mentality. I want to help him get some food plots on the property to the hold the deer.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Wish I was up in New York this year. I haven't hunted NY for about 8 years. Guess I'm Stuck in Jersey this season.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Can you imagine trying to drag over 800 pounds of elk through the woods?
No, but I could picture convincing 30 of my "closest friends" to.:D

You're allowed to quarter the animal and pack it out in PA right? Or do you have to bring the whole elk to a check station?

Quartering and packing is the only way to go. Anyone who tries to drag one of those beasts out of the woods is either smoking something illegal, or they had a front row seat at the Congressional/Major League Baseball hearing.:D:D:D "Jose Canseco and Mark McGuire went Elk hunting in PA today...":D

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
where'd you hunt bhcop?

G

·
I hunted NY on the same piece as my father has, he hunted there from 1960 thru 1994, I hunted there from 1980 thru 1994 and that was in the ROSCOE area 400 acres, but a few new commers runied it, so we stopped hunting there: me, my father, buckfever, and brownstones.

We now hunt up in WAVERLY NY on 145 acres but it's only me buckfever and his father, my father has no desire to hunt anymore, he just loves to eat the deer if I get one. We aren't hunting it next year, cause we will be in IOWA next year

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I may hunt in Pratsville NY this weekend. Undecided yet. I would like to get another Saturday in for bow. HMMM 1 day bow or 3 days rifle. Tough choice!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts