New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hope to get a zone 14 permit this spring could anyone give me some pointers on how to go about hunting turkeys never been you no scouting /setting up /calling /looking for signs thanks for any and all help

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Where will you be hunting in zone 14 public or private i hunted colliers mills two years ago and heard a few birds.
The biggest thing is going out and scouting.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Get out there early and listen from a distance whatever you do dont call to them, listen to where they are headed, gl [no swearing please] the fields.
And try to locate more then one so when one area doesnt pan out you have a couple of back up plans.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i hope the mills wma but need to get that permit first

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Best way to scout that i have found is to wait till the weather warms abit and the birds become more vocal..Than put in some leg work and find a good roosting area fairly large trees,lots of droppings under and around the trees also look for some feathers on the ground from flying in and out of the trees.. Than set up and listen near by on a good vantage point, piece of high ground..Than follow the birds and try to establish a patern similar to scouting for deer..Roost area, Travel route, and feeding area..Later in the spring look for were the hens are nesting and the toms have established there strut zones..Once the hens leave the toms to sit on thier nests usally around 9-10.. the toms get lonley and go to their strut zones or start, searching for other hens.. Turkey hunting is about 75% scouting and 25% calling

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks every bit of info will help i hope and i think you'r right about the 75% and 24 3/4% 1/4% aiming and making a good shot

1 - 10 of 10 Posts