New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lookig for some simple advise to catch trout stocked in Holmdel park lake. Found out late last year the state stocks it, and I am getting my 5 year old daughter into fishing. We catch many sunnies there, but want to throw a line out for trout- pretty sure they put rainbow and some other type - Thanks in advance

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Kah,

Very easy to catch trout that are stocked in ponds. Get yourself size 10 hooks, put a bobber about 12-16in (depending on how deep the water is) above the hook, put a fat night crawler on the hook, and cast it out. I wouldn't use the smaller garden worms only because that's an easy target for sunnies, and you want to catch trout, so using the large night crawlers is a better bet. GOOD LUCK!

Bryan

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
You can also get the power bait that comes in a small jar. Get yellow, shape it like a pellet and put it on the hook. It looks just like the pellets they feed them at the hatchery, and the panfish will not take it as quickly as they do worms but the trout love it.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I can't tell you the exact method, because it was taught to me by someone who catches 300 trout a year. He swore me to secrecy, so I can never tell.

But I will give you a hint, combine parts of the two tips above, and then add some stuff I cant tell you about, and you are pretty close.;)

I may have said too much, so I must go now!:D

If anyone asks, I never talked to you! OK?:p

Good luck, its pretty easy and lots of fun!---Matt:)

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
just busting on ya...

i gave up on bait for trout along time ago. i throw everyone i catch back. i use spinners. i don't want to brag but i catch a ton of them. i fish year round and always catch some. i only use 1 type of spinner too, it's a panther martin black with yellow dots with gold blades, size 1 and size 2. i also use the smallest rapalas's, i think they are 1.5". i use the rainbow trout ones. if you ever want to hook up for some trouting just let me know. i have alot of spots.

·
11,226 Posts
Alright Mr. Wojtowicza,
You and I are going trouting one day. I also use one spinner and one spinner only. I'm going to put my spinner against yours and see who brings in more fish! The funny thing is your spinner sounds alot like mine. I use a 1/8 oz roostertail. Dark yellow almost orange or gold with black stripes or dots. The tail must be black or mixed with black. It can't be pure yellow. One way or another it will be a fun day! I haven't been this pumped for fishing in a long time!

·
11,226 Posts
Kah... I've always had good luck with meal worms and a bobber in ponds but....the blue gills like them too. Early in the season when the water is still cold the morning is a good time to go. The blue gills are less active in the cold water but the trout are more active in the cold!

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
sounds good to me JerseyJim. i'll take that challenge. i don't like to have tails on my spinners. here is what i use only

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
If you want trout, I would use powerbait with your 5 year old daughter. However I would also bring a sunfish outfit also. You don't want her to get bored. Leave powerbait about 18 inches off the bottom and leave it. Don't use a bobber and watch the line or rod tip. Then fish for sunfish. If there are cats in there you may get them on powerbait also.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
try them all sounds like everyone knows what they are talking about. The old bait & bobber is a trued way to go, having a 5 year old sunnies make for a good fishing outing. For me I only fish with one rod ( because I can't fish with 2 at the sametime ) and That rod is a Fly rod it's a pflueger 8' 5#/6#' fly line. Anyway it's great to take a kid fishing, hunting, camping , and just anything to do with the outdoors... You'r a good daddy

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
If your fishing in a pond or a big deep pool Ive had success using fatheads. And if the trout dont bite I sometimes get into Craooie and /or Perch. then I'll still leave the fathead and fish using other methods like casting a Phobe or small suspender like a Rapala.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts