New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum, took trappers course back in March and have a couple questions. I spent the following months after that course purchasing gear, traps and making snares. I Know I have to boil them in baking soda/water first, but can I use any type of paint? I have a few gallons of rustoleum high perf. paint that I can mix to get the right color but I dont want to damage/ruin the traps not knowing if this is fine or not. I know buying the proper dye would be great but this is getting expensive, trying to get all your gear in less than a year is not the way to go....

On the trail cams I set out just to see whats out there, I found more then a few foxes that look like they have very very little hair on tails and shabby looking. Mange will not clear up on them in upcoming years, correct? Will they be worth fleshing and boarding or would it be wasting time?

Would anyone know if the NJ snare cert. is honored in PA, or would I have to take their cable restraint cert. also?

Thank you for any help

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
its not honored in pa but pa is honored in nj. for traps you can set them out side to rust a bit then hit them with rusty metal primer, snares some people lightly hit them with spry paint just enough to get shine off. I boil snare in baking soda and some I boil in black crushed walnuts. 4 tbl spoons of baking soda to each gal of boiling water. only boil what you will use that season because the cable will rust over time.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
oh don't even try to skin a mangy fox or yote, you or your family can catch that stuff. I wont even touch a snare that catches one, the whole thing goes in a pit.

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Don't sweat the snare treatment. It really isn't that important. I spray paint some ... dip some in formula one, and some I just leave as is. Mainly to hide them from people more so then critters.
Boiling them will cause them to rust MUCH sooner...I don't do it anymore

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
If you are using paint, you will be better off spray painting the snares than dipping them. as GG stated, if you dip you will need to cut the paint. one trick that is used with spray paint is to let you snares hang to dull up for a few weeks, then coil them in the loop (Loose) like we showed at the course. than take, say a brown paint and spray a light coat on the snare let it dry. un coil the cable then coil it back up and do another coat of say grey or even light coat of black or green do the same a 3nd time with another color is you like. when the snare is hanging the 2 or 3 colors on the snare really makes it blend in. I use f1 the same way I coil the snare dip it let dry and it has different shades on the snare.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.