New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm new to Somerset County (Hillsborough) and could use some advice on good locations to hunt and fish locally, whether it be private land where I ask for permission or public land that I'm not standing shoulder to shoulder with other hunters/fishermen. I hunt deer and turkey and plan on going for waterfowl, small game and upland birds this upcoming season.

Also, any other information for a newbie hunter (3 years) would be more than welcome, especially for the waterfowl, small game and upland birding. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Not many public opportunities around Hillsborough. There are some municipal hunt opportunities. All the private land is locked up by clubs. There is 6 mile run in Franklin but that from what I hear gets crazy. I have never hunted there. As far as fishing goes you have spots all around you. The South Branch down thru Three Bridges is good for trout and smallmouth later in the year. You also have the Millstone and Raritan Rivers that border the north and east sides of town. For Catfish and Bass there is a small pond that produces in Ann VanMiddlesworth Park off Amwell Road by the high school.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hillsborough Township has a hunting program. It's via a lottery, $75.00 permit fee which is used for the venison donation program, insurance is needed but the NJSFS insurance is fine. Application will be available on their web site or the administration office the middle of June early July.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
If you are going to try for permission to hunt don't wait do it right know so not only do you know what to expect before the fall. But it leaves you time to come up with a logical plan for the fall and you leave a better image in the eyes of the landowner then a guy who shows up the day before hunting season asking to hunt.Sometimes by frequenting local places where people go daily like deli's etc can land you spots just by getting to know regulars etc or listening to people whine about the deer destroying their land and cars its just like hunting learn how to put yourself in the right spot and don't get discouraged stick with it for awhile.But it is tough either you will win or lose but at least you will have a better idea on where to go next. You may need to put miles on your truck to find spots.Fishing you should have no problem it's the hunting rights that are harder to get most times goodluck in your search.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Take a ride through the Duke Estate. [rofl]

Reactions: GWO

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Best bet is to try to hook up with someone that already has connections. Doing it on your own will be difficult as your bucking heads with guys who have the area tied up.[smoke]

·
Registered
2 Posts
i live in middlesex county can anyone tell me if there are any hunting clubs in the area or in somerset i want to join one the wma's are too crowded
thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sourland Mountain has some public hunting but you have to go through the township to get an additional hunting permit on top of the zone permit NJ issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts