New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just moved here from
Texas and though I will not be hunting this year I thought I could start some prep work for next season. I live in Egg Harbor City and was wondering if the zone I am in (42) is any good, nobody seems to talk about it at all. Are there better areas to scout out .. really not sure where to start, hope you guys can help. Thanks

·
11,226 Posts
Welcome to the state and the site!!1[up] There are a few guy's from your area on these boards so I'm sure you will get some input as they scan the boards....With the bow season in full swing and some of the small game seasons starting it may take some time but they will be checking in soon.... Hope you find what your looking for!!![up]

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Welcome Hawkeye, but why the hell did you move here from Texas? I can't be for the little JERSEY DOG DEER. Anyway, there is one thing I'll warn you about our Jersey deer. You will find that their back legs have evolved to be shorter than their front ones. Seems it comes from always looking up in the trees for us hunters :D
Just wait till the opening day of Shotgun deer season when the woods start looking like a pumpkin patch with all the blaze orange [sad]
WELCOME TO NEW JERSEY :D

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Welcome. A good place close to you is Makepeace WMA. It's pretty big, thick as woodputty, and has alot of deer. Doesn't get much pressure in bow season, but gun season is, like everywhere else in NJ, bad. Once winter gets here, you should probably start looking around in there. Get into some of the thicker spots, most bow hunters don't go there. You will have to cut some trails in, and prepare yourself for hunting in tight cover, but there are some good spots in there, just hard to get to when everything is greened up. It's also usually very wet and swampy, but I imagine it's pretty dry now so as soon as the leaves come down, you could start learning it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips guys, I moved here cause the wife was transfered to open up a new restaurant in Mays Landing. Go where the money is! Are the deer really that small, what about the racks? Guess butchering is pretty cheap for a "dog deer" lol. The only thing I don't like too much so far is that I can't hunt with a rifle here, wife just got done buying me a weatherby for christmas last year and was gonna hunt with it this year, now it is relegated to a anger management duty. lol I was reading that the deer here love sweet potato's, is that true or just an old wives tale

·
11,226 Posts
The only thing I don't like too much so far is that I can't hunt with a rifle here
Just not enough room here for that...but a quick hop of the border and you can use them in PA or NY....
Are the deer really that small, what about the racks?
The big problem is there are too many deer here most of which live in peoples back yards and not in the huntable woods...You can find some quality deer here if you look in the right places! [up]
Guess butchering is pretty cheap for a "dog deer" lol.
Nothing is cheap in NJ! [down]

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rate for me if you would on crowds and deer population the following places.

Wharton state forest
Makepeace WMA
Macnamara WMA
Edwin B Forsythe WMA

I would like to do some scouting and not sure where to start, the most promising deer population with the fewest crowds ( hike in of course) is what I am looking for

·
Registered
942 Posts
Edwin B Forsythe is by far the best I think but it's a lottery zone ....I have hunted in Wharton and it's very low bow hunting presure..Shotgun it's full of driver's , but you can use that to your advantage ...Don't no about the other place's...If I was you I would find out if there's any permit's left for zone's 58 and 57 ...Good luck[up]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Welcome to the state. Good Luck.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks , oh yeah your right about forsythe..it is not a wma...so I take it anything labeled as refuge and is huntable will be lottery then?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts