New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Statwide AR would be good... but we do not want to turn NJ into another PA.

Heck, I already deer hunt zone 6 w/AR. I passed up a Y-buck, a three pointer, and a spike during fall bow this year. Hopefully those bastards survive the winter.

·
3,413 Posts
During the regular season, children & the military should be subject to the game code. Any restrictions should be lifted during the YOUTH DAY HUNTS to allow a child to harvest a buck.

I would like to see the DFW reduce the amount of buck tags per hunter to three. Use one of them in any season you want, but once you've used three you are done.

As for AR. Doesn't bother me in the least. The idea above about reducing the number of buck tags would, hopefully, make hunters more aware of the age and quality of buck being harvested. Leading to more 1.5 and 2.5 year old bucks surviving & growing older.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
You forgot one option on the poll: yes to one buck during 6-day, no to statewide antler restrictions. That one gets my vote.

I'm a fan of practicing QDM, but don't think everyone should be forced to adopt my personal hunting goals and values. I like the way it is set up now as far as antler restrictions. An improvement would be to go with something similar to what Delaware has, and allow an "any buck" tag and a "quality buck" tag with requirements on the quality buck being 8 points total and ear width spread.

Reduce the total buck tags allowed to 3, and make the two of them quality buck tags and you will have taken measures that are much better than 3 points to one side statewide with 6 bucks still legal, and still allowed hunters who only get out a few days a year, and consdier a 4 pointer a trophy, to have that opportunity for a successful hunt.

Allowing a hunter to take one "any buck" and two "quality bucks" of the parameters listed above will protect more deer than a 3 points to a side statwide rule would, and it would not cause as much animostiy from the portion of the hunting community that does not want to trophy hunt. We can actually have our cake and eat it too. :D

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I my self would love to see the 3 point rule . I hunt that way now in 16 even though it is not a law . The I hunt for meat doesn't make sense to me since we can take so many does extended season and Bow .

Thats just how I feel on it . Thats why they make different flavor icecreams ! Not every one likes the same thing :D

·
Registered
612 Posts
You forgot one option on the poll: yes to one buck during 6-day, no to statewide antler restrictions. That one gets my vote.
Allowing a hunter to take one "any buck" and two "quality bucks" of the parameters listed above will protect more deer than a 3 points to a side statwide rule would, and it would not cause as much animostiy from the portion of the hunting community that does not want to trophy hunt. We can actually have our cake and eat it too.
I could get behind that. I disagree with the the 3pt system... I actually saw a deer once with a 15+" spread that was actually a y buck. It was an earn a buck zone and I didn't have a doe yet, so I passed up the shot. It was shot the next week during firearm buck week and made a great mount. I agree with the earn a buck program that many zones have in place. And I have a self imposed limit of 2 bucks per year (regardless of how many I see or what my permits/licenses allow) and unlimited does. Admittedly, I don't deer hunt enough for it to be an issue with me... but I made up my mind a few years back not to take more than two bucks simply for the health of the herd.

The deer code changes every year... and I believe it's because the state is grasping at straws to find a management plan that works. To me it's simple... I think NJ allows too many bucks per hunter and I know quite a few hunters that shoot only bucks. If the state wants to limit the herd, the way to do it is by harvesting does. I strongly believe we as hunters need to take a stand on this issue with self imposed limits on bucks and/or make a conscious effort to take twice as many does as we do bucks (atleast for the next few years). If we don't, the anti's will eventually have their way and we'll be hunting with contraceptive camera guns.

·
11,226 Posts
I do believe we discussed this here before. Like I said before I would like to see this.
Bow: 2 bucks
Muzzy: 2 bucks
Shotgun: 2 bucks
Now here is the catch. You can use any of these seasons to take no more then 3 bucks. One of the 3 bucks has no restrictions but the other 2 need to have 4 points to one side. This should give a little to everyone. The none trophy hunters can still take a smaller buck but only one. Then they must search for a Quality buck or doe.This should also let more younger bucks make it to the next season for the horn hunters! Doe takes should be limited to 3 also but only in zones that can handle 3. Other zones should be 2 and 1 as needed! This gives NJ hunters a shot at 6 deer and thats plenty! Just my .02

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Wow alot of great ideas here. [up]

Do you guys approach the division with them?

I really like the idea of specialized buck tags, the "any buck" (3" or better) and "quality buck" tags (8 pts or better) would be an outstanding system. It appeals to both the meat hunter and the trophy hunter. You could even go one step further and offer one quality buck tag for less money than the any-buck and quality buck tags together. I only use my buck tag once in a while anyway. I basically am a bowhunter only, and hold myself to bucks of 125" or better. You shouldnt need more than one or two bucks a year. Which leads up to the next great point you guys made.

Instead of buck tags for every season/weapon.... limit hunters to two or three bucks per year! Its a great idea. It wouldnt matter what weapon your harvesting them with. You get two or three buck tags, and thats it. It would make some people think twice before blasting those lil spikes, fours and sixes.

I would prefer to see antler restrictions, but dont want to force hunters to go by my standards. I believe these ideas can make both sides happy. I think if we approach the division with these ideas, along with "bank-a-doe". We may have one of the best sets of regulations in the country.

I hope some of these ideas are implemented into the regulations soon.

Have a good one---Matt:)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Buck up and shoot a doe! I hunt for the meat. Although, when I hunt the fall bow seasons. I do try for a nice buck. Not a trophy. I think all this trophy status is about bragging. I watch two buddies litterally ruin each others hunting, because of this word trophy. 1 buck per season and 1 doe per season. Drag hate to pull punches, but you shot a buck thinking it was a doe, in your picture. Unlimited anterless means thousands of button bucks. As far as I've seen AR isn't work like it was supposed to. I let 4 bucks p [no swearing please] me during shotgun week. A big 4 pt. was under me at 10 yds. for 20 minutes. I watched him cross a creek and walk right to a hunter that I could see. About 300 yards+/- Then boom. I know it was the same buck. We have AR, probable didn't check in or went to another zone. I called game warden from stand. It pissed me off. I could have shot that deer at least 5 time during bow. He almost was given a name. It is up to you to have control. No matter what the state laws are. If you can't eat it don't shoot it. It kills me to hear a guy that hunts deer say "I only eat a couple of pieces a year." or "I don't like the taste." You shouldn't be allowed to hunt. This is fuel for the antis. I eat and like the taste of wild game. If you can't cook it right...Learn... That is how I feel. Enough said.

Till our trails cross,

WW

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Ryan, do you eat those muskrats too? If so, how do ya fix 'em? I know they used to have a big muskrat dinner in Alloway years ago, do they still have that event?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
what about 3 buck 3 doe a year you'r pick when to take and only i perday get 6 and you'r done we must stop the taking of 2 buck in the 6 day season

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Guys, dont let laws seperate us, we are all outdoorsmen/women. Trophies are in the eye of the beholder. You want meat, I want meat and big antlers. Whats the big deal? Im not going to fight anyone over them, or get upset about not harvesting a big buck. Most years I shoot one or two does and p [no swearing please] up a bunch of smaller bucks. True trophy hunting doesnt end with a buck most years, but a better knowledge of the monsters in your area. I just want the challenge of outsmarting the big boys.

We are trying to work this out for the best of both sides. :) Lets not question each others reasons to hunt.

As for people not checking in deer...of course there are those that do wrong when hunting. Hopefully they get caught, but remember there are also those who would abide by the new regulations, Im assuming more than those who wouldn't.

I dont know about getting rid of the earn-a-buck. Thats something we should discuss further.

I like it for the reason it gets some people to shoot a doe that would NOT normally shoot a doe. I also dislike it because last year I watched one of the biggest bucks Ive ever seen (160 class) feed within range of me for a half hour on opening day. I shot a doe later that day, but what was I to do, kill this monster illegaly? No.

So how could we do it?

Heres what Im thinking; (keep in mind this is just my thoughts...I want to hear everyones thoughts on this.)
--------------------------------------------------

Two buck tags, (one any-buck) and (one quality-buck)

Earn-a-buck for early archery and permit shotgun/muzzleloader.

No more e-a-b for permit bow. Its rediculous, first week of the rut, and you have to start over trying to shoot another doe.

Bank-a-Doe for multi-weapon/season hunters
(example; I kill a doe during permit bow. I can now kill a buck during permit shotgun, without having to shoot a doe during permit shotgun.)

No more than 4 does per zone/year. (less in certain zones) Example; I kill one doe in zone 1 (because the limit is 1 there) and three in zone 8, I am done with does for the season. (doesnt matter what weapon)

Any other ideas, or any holes in what Ive outlined?

I think if we continue figuring this out, work out the kinks, and present it to the division in an organized manner. There is a great chance we could have these changes as soon as next season.

I myself would LOVE to see regulations like these.

Have a great day all and keep the good ideas coming!---Matt:)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yes, they still have the dinners in alloway. Also, Elsinboro. Plank smoked shad and bake 'rat with season salt. Oh yea!! A cold mug of beer! MANNNNNN thats eatin' marsh style!!!

Till our trails cross,

WW

PS Everybody forgets this years major oil spill. a little north of me. Didn't rat trap any tidal water after that. Inland, but tidal water there was the first large group of beaver I've seen, also 2 otters. Effected waterfowl season and other birds. That poor river. What it must have been before the pollution/companies.

·
11,226 Posts
If your going to take 2 or 3 bucks anyway why not 2 in the 6 day?[confused]? Because my weapon of choice is more efficient I should be penalized? How about 2 bucks period! I said 3 before to give a hunter a chance to take one with each weapon. I"ve never killed more then 2 bucks in a season and 2 is plenty! I still like 3 bucks and 3 doe! 2 bucks per weapon but 3 total for the season! No restrictions on one buck and 4 points to one side on the others. Sounds fair for everyone. We all get a little of what we want!

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Jim,

I think its fair.

I dont care what season you kill your two bucks in,
bow, shotgun, muzzy, its all good.

2 bucks per year, any weapon. (Good plan...hope it takes effect)

Do you think we should limit the does to three though?

I think the doe harvest should be exclusive to each zone. Each zone could have a specific limit.

DMZ 1. two does
DMZ 2. two does
DMZ 8. three does
etc.

The only thing that could screw it up is, people checking in does in different zones. But I think that already happens anyway.:(

I was thinking about it more, and maybe you could get rid of the earn-a-buck, KIND OF.

To use your "any buck tag", you must earn it with a doe, for early archery, and permit guns. However you can use your "quality buck tag" anytime. And hunters who only hunt 6dayFA can use both tags w/no eab.

Is that fair?

Perhaps the muzzleloaders are getting jipped though?

I dont hunt muzzy, so I wouldnt know.

I know I already typed it up but here it is again in a better format;
-----------------------------------------------------

(September/October Bow season) Must shoot a Doe before using your "anybuck tag". May use your "quality buck tag" without having to shoot a doe.

(Permit Bow/November) May use either buck tag, without having to shoot a doe first.

(Permit Shotgun/Muzzleloader) Must shoot a doe before using your "anybuck tag". May use your "quality buck tag" without having to shoot a doe first.

(Six Day Firearm) May use either buck tag, without having to shoot a doe first.

(Permit Shotgun,Muzzleloader days that fall after 6DAY) May use either buck tag, without having to shoot a doe first.

(Winter Bow January-February) Though your on next years license, you will be able to use any unused buck tags from the seasons mentioned above.

However, after winter bow, any UNUSED buck tags WILL NOT carry over into the next set of fall seasons.

Once you have used your "anybuck" and "qualitybuck" tags, your "buck hunting" is over. However, you can hunt does until you limit out in each zone.
--------------------------------------------------

What do you guys think?

Have a good one guys---Matt:)

·
11,226 Posts
I think we are getting somewhere. Doe limits should be on a zone to zone basis but there needs to be a limit on how many each hunter can take! If you can kill 3 doe in zone 8 then 3 more in zone 9 and 3 more in zone 10 then thats way too many deer for one person! What can you possibly do with all that meat? Keep the numbers down to say even 4 doe total. That gives you a chance at 6 deer with the 2 bucks and 4 doe! Thats plenty to feed a good sized family for a good part of the year!
Also the 2 bucks for shotgun one of them has to be shot during the 6 day. You can't take 2 on a doe permit! I have to get ready to go out but I will share more thoughts with you later on this...Jim

1 - 20 of 50 Posts