New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new member here. Recently moved to morris county. Looking to get back into small game hunting with my kids. Lost my last gsp at 14 yrs old. Any recommendations on a reputable gsp breeder in NJ with proven hunting lines. Thanks a bunch. I have 3 kids, a stay at home wife, and I have plenty of days off my self. I'm also on over 2 acre property. I'm well aware of the commitment needed to be a gsp owner and we are ready for the responsibilities that come with it.

Vince

·
Registered
37 Posts
Vince, the more information you can provide as to insight into what you are looking for would then help you with your search in a breeder. I am not breeding a litter any time soon or even if I will breed again, so I have no skin in the game other than recommending a reputable breeder. I would be happy to help guide you with some reputable breeder recommendations. If you like feel free to contact me anytime you like. My contact information can be found on my website which i nobellekennel.com.

Good Luck in your search!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rob. Heard many great things about you and your dogs. I hunted over some of the dogs you bred years ago. I prefer the liver roan gsp's. I would want the breeder to have parents on site and also hunts his dogs. I would like to see how the parents hunt. I would want to see health certs on the parents. Does the breeder offer any health guarantees. We're the dogs bred in the past, if so how many times. I would like references from other puppy owners. Have the pups been socialized or kept in a kennel all day long. Do they have a natural/instinctive drive) How doe the pups/parents do with other dogs. How does the breeder pair the pup with a puppy owner. Does he just let the buyer pick or does he try to match a puppy with an owner. In the past, I've had experiences where the breeder just wanted money. More of a business than anything. I'd prefer a breeder that also asks as many questions as I am ready to ask. I'd like to spend some time with the pups before actually picking one. I belive it should be a team effort between the breeder, buyer AND puppy, to pair the new puppy with new owner. Are the breeders involved in any GSP memerships/organizations/field testing. Akc/navhda/nadkc registered? I do understand that much of the dogs ability will have to do with the environment I provide, however, I'd like to start off with a puppy that has been provided everything he (I prefer a male) needs his first 9/10/11 etc.. weeks of his life. I'll handle the rest. I'm not concerned over price.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Huntingovergsp:

Thanks for the kind words, unfortunately father time catches up with us all. For me there is a ton of work it goes into the breeding planning, the whelp and the care to raise a healthy litter, as well as the time to raise a well socialized litter the work load is tremendous. I may have one more litter which will be in about two years from now and that is only if I decide to keep a pup, although at this time I am pretty sure I am down to my last pup which is only 8 months of age.

Your requirements in your search for a litter are right on point and are common with a responsible breeder, with possible the exception of seeing both parents on site. The reason being that putting that right pairing together in many instances requires the use of a male in another state. I would not let seeing both parents, seeing both parents hunt or spending time with the pups deter me from the purchase of a pup from a knowledgeable, responsible breeder.

If you would like to call me I am now than happy to provide you with some references for breeders, however consider the possibility that most of these breeder's litters may not be advertised, and may be sold out well in advance of the whelp. So you may have to wait a year or so for the following breeding.

Bob C.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a very good point regarding both parents on premises. Never thought about that. I totally understand the litters won't be advertised (on a marketplace) and regarding the wait, this is something I will not rush. I'd rather wait a year - year and a half for a pup/dog that will hopefully be with me many years. Regarding "father time", we will have to get you to one of those "Doctor Feel Good" and have them check your testosterone levels, because if you think I'm doing this without your help, your nuts 🤣🤣. I will give you a call this weekend if that's ok and I'd like your recommendation(s) and any insight you would be willing to share. Pleasure chatting with you. Talk soon

·
Registered
37 Posts
Vince:

Its true Father Time is something we all will have to face....LOL Trust me when I tell you to do it right it is a tremendous amount of work and dedication. I started out on this journey as someone that loved to hunt birds and still do. I may be out chasing long tails this weekend, so if and when you do call if I do not pick up the phone please leave a message and I will absolutely return the call.. Happy to help you in your search.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts