New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all!

My name is Jason. I'm 29 soon to be 30 in January and I'm interested in starting my hunting journey and learning about the wildlife here in NJ.

A little info about myself:

I was born and raised in Bermuda, (Hence my username being Bermudian which is my nationality.) which is a small island in the Atlantic Ocean located about 650 miles EAST[rofl] of Cape May. There really isn't any hunting allowed in Bermuda as guns and bows are illegal to own or have possession of and we don't really have and land wildlife to hunt. Therefore the only thing I've ever hunted with was either my pole spear or fishing rod in the ocean. I've managed to catch Tuna, Wahoo, Grouper, Lionfish, Marlin, Lobsters and many more from our surrounding ocean. I've done spearfishing and deep sea fishing and even just hook'n line fishing off the rocks.

I live in Howell NJ with my beautiful wife, Becca, and two cats Delilah and Raja. I married my wife in 2010 in Tom's River and finally moved to the US in the Fall of 2011 after receiving my marriage Visa and becoming a legal resident of the US in 2012.

I've always had a passion for archery and guns even though I could never have them in Bermuda. Every time I traveled to the US for vacation, I always made sure to make a stop at a gun range to fire off a few hundred rounds. Nothing like the smell of gun power and coffee in the morning!

I have very little hunting knowledge of the wildlife out here but I do have a lot of experience of the outdoors with camping and survival. I've been looking everything up online that I can think of to study when it comes to the wildlife I'll be looking to harvest. I've been working on the NJ hunters education course and have completed the workbook but unfortunately they don't have any classes scheduled yet but I'll get one scheduled as soon as they become available.

I decided I wanted to go the archery route as I feel this gives me a greater challenge when it comes to hunting and makes for a greater hunting experience. My wife was kind enough to purchase me a Barnett Recruit crossbow for Christmas this year so I've been having a blast practicing with it. With all the shooting I've got under my belt from all my visits to the gun range, I'm able to keep my grouping to an inch apart at 30 to 35 yards. I'm still tweaking my red dot for 40 yards. I'll be looking to also purchase a compound bow as well in the near future to expand my hunting equipment and eventually a rifle or shotgun. I still need to visit my local hunting store and pick up some hunting cloths and blaze orange before heading out to the hunting grounds which I plan purchasing either this weekend or next and also some new bolts as I've already worn out the one's that came with my crossbow.

I'd like to hunt both small game and deer and I was looking to see if anyone who may be living close to me would like to take me under their wing, (no pun intended!) and show me the ropes. Since I don't have my hunting license just yet I'd like to just accompany someone on their hunt or a hike and learn some pointers and gain some experience from someone willing to share.:cool1:

I'm still learning the rules and regulations setup but I'm having a hard time just trying to figure out where to start as it's all still new to me.

I thank for you taking the time to read my lengthy introduction.:happy0159: I look forward to building some good friendships with you all on here.

Now for the picture of my Barnett.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Welcome ! Sounds like me a couple of years ago... nothing has changed a lot so far but going forward, slow but going...some nice guys here, just find them... don't expect too much just the enough to start

·
Registered
12,825 Posts
When you purchase your property..I'll show you how to hunt it....lol.....just kidding. .welcome to the site

·
Registered
88 Posts
Welcome to the forum and shitty NJ, jk. This was my first season so I'm a rookie too. The one thing I would suggest is if you want to hunt with a bow and crossbow, start the season off with the bow. You can use the crossbow to take your first deer to get a notch on your belt, but then use the bow. The deer move a lot Sept to through the rut, (towards the end of Nov). When gun season starts Dec 1st on, the deer get shot at daily, driven and learn real quick that every step may be there last. They'll mostly become nocturnal and you'll rarely get chances through December, (That's when I would switch to the crossbow unless your using a firearm). I started this season with a crossbow (Excalibur Axiom), and was lucky enough to shoot a few nice does and two bucks, my first buck an 8 pt then a BIG bodied 4 pt in extended bow. Every shot was perfect with the crossbow and none of the deer made it more then 30 yards. I felt it wasn't even a challenge at that point with the xbow and was itching to buy and harvest a deer with a bow. I bought a Hoyt Charger and have been out 3-4 times a week all month. I only had a couple small does and button bucks come through (because they're young and stupid), so I'm still looking for my first quality bow deer after 5 weeks. I'm looking forward to Jan/Feb and some snow on the ground for that first bow deer. Good luck

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome and nice intro. There are plenty of WMA's in NJ that you should start familiarizing yourself with. They can get a little crazy with a lot hunters on them, some following the rules and some not but there are still plenty of deer. Don't leave anything in the woods that you would miss a lot, things get stolen. I started on public land in PA and when I moved to NJ was fortunate enough to find some private land. Good spots are scarce in Jersey, do your homework and you'll be rewarded though. I've got a 2 year old and am renovating my house so I barely get out enough myself but there are some awesome people on this site that will give you great guidance and I'm sure will take you out and show you some scouting tips. Just don't get caught up in the bs, completely ignore as it's not worth getting caught up in but if you sort through that you'll learn everything there is to know about hunting in NJ. I'm extremely thankful to many people who have reached out to help me on this forum. Most importantly, when you're done with the course and have a license, learn the rules and regs in the annual digest very well. Every state is different so what you might see on an out of state forum or TV show may or may not not fly here. Either way a ton of questions can be answered by reading that a few times. Best of luck.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.