New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
oh jesus f****** christ really???? c'mon now, in the friggin air?

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Firearms

Distances Bullets Travel

How Far Can A Bullet Travel?
Type 0 1 mile 2 miles 3 mile 4 miles 5 miles
.22 Short ········ (.5 to 1 mile)
.22 LRHV ············ (1-1.5 miles)
.22 Mag ················ (1.5-2.5 miles)
.222 ························· (2-3 miles)
.243 ······························ (2.5-3.5 miles)
.257 ······························ (2.5-3.5 miles)
.270 ······························ (2.5-3.5 miles)
7MM ········································ (up to 5 miles)
Type 0 1 mile 2 miles 3 miles 4 miles 5 miles
.30-30 ····················· (2-2.5 miles)
.30-06 ······································· (3.5-4.5 miles)
.300 Sav ······························ (2.5-3.5 miles)
.300 Win Mag ········································ (up to 5 miles)
.303 ····················· (2-2.5 miles)
.308 ······························ (2.5-3.5 miles)
.338 ········································ (up to 5 miles)
.35 Rem ····················· (2-2.5 miles)
.45-70 ················ (1.5-2.5 miles)
0 1 mile 2 miles 3 miles 4 miles 5 miles

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
THAT A.H. SHOULD BE STRUNG UP BY THE NUTS!

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Is 1 1/2 miles a realistic distance for a bullet to travel? Even if it was fired at the perfect trajectory?
Yes, and a heck of a lot more distance than only 1 1/2 miles from many rifle cartridges. We had a freak accident like this where I grew up in West Milford back in the 70s. Two idiots took 3 shots out of a bedroom window with a .303 British Enfield rifle at lights attached to our community lodge that was 1 1/2 miles or so away. The bullets dropped a lot more than these jerks expected and one pierced the bathroom wall of a home that was in line with the lights killing a woman who was washing the family dog in the bathtub. She died in her husband's arms. Both shooters got off because they each blamed the other for taking the 3rd shot. The husband had testified to hearing all three shots with the 3rd shot being the fatal one and the two suspects were the only witnesses to their actions. But both were sued into oblivion as were the parents of the one young adult in civil court.

Guns are NOT toys!

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Damn, 1.5 miles seems like a long ways for a muzzy, I always thought max trajectory was about half of that. Guess it could be possible given the right circumstances. Either way, dumb move on the part of the guy cleaning his gun. Prayers for the girl and her family.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
you could pull a muzzleloader bullet out of the air at a distance of a mile. there is something fishy about this story.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I am quessing that alot of that 1.5 miles is an estimate, an exagerated estimate.

I also think he was probably unloading the gun, rather than cleaning it.

Thats why you always unload into the dirt. Why you never start to draw your bow angled up, always down.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Had a bullet wiz by between me and my freind while fishing on the Salmon River. Sounded just like the bullets flying around in the begining of Saving Private Ryan. The bullet hit a tree on the other side of the river in front of us, never heard the shot. Figured it was someone squirel hunting somewhere. If it was 2 feet to the left or right one of us would have been hit.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
i agree this story isnt adding up.....

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I don't feel like dusting off the physics books, but I agree something does not add up on this story.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It seems like there is something missing from the story here. Why would this guy be cleaning a loaded ML? If it were an inline and needed to be unloaded without firing, then why didn't he just remove the breech plug and then remove the powder/projectile? Why would he even consider priming the ML if cleaning? Just doesn't make sense to me. Sad story in the end though.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
mythbusters would have a field day with this.. and it sounds like there has been violence toward the amish in that area recently too.. Needs a thorough investigation needless to say.

·
Registered
755 Posts
even if it were tumbling, seems to me a .50 cal slug falling through the air could fracture a skull and kill someone. i don't see anything fishy, just unfortunate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts