New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting ready to go out in the morning, thinking of bringing a pair of antlers and rattle a bit. any of you guys ever get any response? its not texas but one of those jersey big boys has got to be curious enough to check out the rattle. atleast im thinking so anyway

B

·
0 Posts
Try it, the bucks are ready to fight & spar with each other, you just may have one come in....Best of Luck[up]

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
depends on where you hunt..private land, not 100 a***oles doing it besides you, it might work.

try a light tickle early in the season, a bit more aggressive later on.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Right now, you can go with a full on smashing antlers, breaking limbs and running around rattle sequence. They are trolling the perimeters of their range, and when they run into other bucks overlapping, they can get in some knock-down drag-out fights this time of year.

Just make sure its a short sequence, (less than 50 seconds). Dont call again for at least two hours. Rattling can be heard for quite some distance, and it can take some bucks quite a while to respond.

I like to start off with some grunts about a half hour after I get settled in. If nothing responds within 30-45 min. I do some more grunting, followed by some leaf rustling and tree rubbing sounds. If still nothing responds within 45 minutes. I do a grunt or two and then go straight into an antler brawl. Followed by some tree raking again.

After that I shut up for up to three hours. Maybe an occasional grunt. But mostly just scanning for deer that may be looking for the action from a distance.

Good luck!===Matt :)

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well we will see in a few hours once i get out of work, 2:41am right now, let you guys know how it worked out.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, nothing this morning, giving it a days rest to try to catch some stripers, try again with rattling friday morning

1 - 9 of 9 Posts