New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://1010wins.com/topstories/local_story_075113826.html

(1010 WINS) (FRANKLIN LAKES, N.J.) State wildlife officials have finally removed a dead bear from the back yard of a Franklin Lakes home.

An Environmental Protection spokeswoman says wildlife officials picked up the carc [no swearing please] late yesterday. She says they're trying to figure out what happened to the bruin and how it ended up in the Schmidt family's yard.

The family called the Fish and Wildlife Division to remove the remains nearly a week ago. They were told workers are busy tagging hibernating bears and were short staffed.

B

·
0 Posts
I emailed the guy in charge of the NJ Bear Project, asking for the weight of this bear, so maybe tomorrow I will get a reply. I saw 275lbs or as high as 350lbs., leaning more to the 350 mark

B

·
0 Posts
If that bear is lets say 300lbs this time of year, then during the fall he's a least 400/425lbs.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
The bear was approx. 200lbs.

It was not shot, it was a roadkill and had been dead for 3-4 weeks. The hole in the belly was from a bone ripping through.

BTW, the homeowners were contacted by F&W but didn't call back for a couple of days adding to the time to pickup the bear.

Bottom line: don't believe everything you read in the newspaper.

B

·
0 Posts
bloodtrails, I have to disagree with you fully, from what I hear from some officers up there it was a gun shot, and that the family called NJFG&W, and was told to stand fast

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
The officers are mistaken. Clearly roadkill. The family did call F&W but when F&W called back they didn't return the call for 2 days. I guess they were too busy talking to reporters and making a big deal out of a bear that was dead for 3 weeks already.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts