New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there all. I am new to the forum, as you can tell from my status. My New Year's resolution is to have a deer in the freezer by years end. I am not from a hunting family. However, I am pretty comfortable in the outdoors.

I've decided on bow hunting to start. I've gotten some awesome advice from Ms. Grit (thanks!) and am planning to go to GSOSS in a week and a half.

So, if you wanted to give the favorite gal in your life a place to start with archery, what would you tell her?

·
Banned
347 Posts
Practice and know your effective range, and before you go hunt, you should have scouted a good 3 times. I taught myself how to shoot and hunt, its not as hard as it seems. Good luck[up]

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
It sounds to me like you have never shot a bow before and if that is the case I think you are being very agressive if you plan on learn to shoot and harvest a deer in the next 6 weeks. Not saying it is not possible but in order to be fair to yourself and the game you are hunting I think the main advice I would give you is slow down a little bit. I think a much more realistic option is to plan on having a deer in the freezer by next fall..Winter bow is a complete different animal from any other season you will ever encounter. Deer on on the highest alert. Any sound will set them off like a firecracker which can easily lead a misplaced shot and a wounded deer. I think you should get yourself a good achery shop, get yourself set up right and spend the winter practicing or join an archery club. If you don't mind me asking what town do you live in?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Good advise fish but I would have to think, being new to the sport maybe years end is 12/31/12...us veteran hunters consider our years end january or february...but joining an archery club is a good idea..

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Good advise fish but I would have to think, being new to the sport maybe years end is 12/31/12
No I meant to find the right set up, become comfortable and set your goal to harvest a deer in the early fall bow season. The thing in my opinion that turns people off from hunting the quickest is to wound a deer and not recover it. You want to feel confident in your shooting ability when you let that arrow fly..I think it is a lot easier for someone who has hunted before to take up archery but it sounds to me like she is saying she has never hunted anything with a gun or a bow.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha! See that's exactly what I mean. I have no intention of having something in the freezer in the next six weeks! Next 12 months!

I guess year's end is when the season ends? Is there a calendar that someone can point me to? Like x season starts on y date?

I have never hunted anything with a gun or a bow. But, weak willed I am not. I am a veterinarian and the first animal I put to sleep was a horse I had experimentally infected with African Horse Sickness. So, I am pretty sure I have what it takes, and, I would never, ever leave a wounded animal. I couldn't ethically, morally, or probably legally.

I am pretty close to Turkey Swamp Park which has an archery range. And I am a service connected vet. When I go to the Lyons VA on Friday I am going to ask about resources there.

I work twice a week up in Oxford and Ms. Grit says there's a good archery store on 57. I am going to go see them and talk to them.

I have the booklet and the hunters ed videos. How many hours of practice and/or what skill level should I have before scheduling my field test?

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
what skill level should I have before scheduling my field test
You need to be able to put 3 out of 5 arrows in the kill zone at 15 to 20 yards. Also your bow must have a minum draw weight of 35 pounds

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
If you are near turkey swamp I would reccomend going to [email protected] archery in Lakewood. Mike is a first class guy. He stocks a lot of womens bows as well(no foul). He is a fantastic instructor and has a great indoor range. When you buy a bow from him he gets you set up the right way and gives you free archery lessons and range passes as well.He will not sell you anything you do not need to get started and will make sure you walk out feeling comfortable with yourself and the equipment you just bought.

·
Banned
347 Posts
What resources did you start with?
Not much, my father bought me a compound bow after I recieved my hunting liscene and eventually a climbing stand. If I were you I would get a light climber and buy a book to learn the basics

·
Registered
432 Posts
Best advice is tons of practice!!!!!! The hardest part about being a successful archer is being able to put the arrow in the right place when it counts.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Whoot! I looked at their website and they look like a good resource
Cant go wrong with Mike I can't say enough good things about him. Now is the time to get started! Get him during the off season when he is not busy. He loves to teach.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
comes down to PERFECT practice . not about how many arrows you can shoot , but how many arrows you can shoot well.
Diamond razors edge is a very good performing womans bow that wont break the bank.and offers ALOT of adjustability.
every day just try and learn something new,

·
Registered
144 Posts
It probably wouldn't hurt to go to your local sporting goods store and pick up a copy of the hunting digest(it's free). Although it is for the current season, most rules will still apply next year and there is plenty of information you will need to know in there. Best of luck to you.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts