New Jersey Hunters banner

New Hunter Seeks Club to Help Teach

4K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  Cat 
#1 ·
Hello

I want to start hunting but I didn't grow up with it like most people. Most of my hunter buddies don't go any more or have a close knit group of people they go with and so I was hoping to maybe join a club that will take me in under it's wing. Is this the way to go about learning or is there a better way? If any one knows of a good club please let me know.

Thanks
Sam

#7 ·
Sam, how old are you? If you are under 16 you can sign up for the youth pheasant day and hunt with a mentor. If older, contacted a commercial hunting preserve. You don't need the pheasant stamp and they will take you out with a guide and dog.

#11 ·
lbrahimss,
you should go to a local hunting store such as meltzers or ramsey outdoors and get this hunting magazine call a compendium...it tells you how to get started and in the back of it has a full page or two of hunting preserve adds. it has the rules and regs., what game is omseason,etc... reely very helpful...if you can you should reely get one! [up] and by the way, WELCOME TO THE SPORT OF HUNTING!!!!!![up]

#12 ·
Ibrahim, Im 29 and was in your position last year when I decided to get into hunting for the first time. Before I got my new jersey hunting license, I went to a couple of preserves in PA, you dont need any kind of license for them, and they give you an idea of what upland hunting is like. I found them not only to be a fun time, but observing the guide and dog was quite the education. (You do need a hunting license or hunter education card to go to a preserve in NJ, if I'm not mistaken)

I dont have a dog, and my girlfriend is allergic to them, so my prospects are not good. Nevertheless, I think I may have success on the days that the WMAs are stocked. I dont think the lack of a dog will prevent me from filling a 2 bird limit.

I have an excell spreadsheet that lists all of the game preserves in NJ, eastern and central PA, delaware, and Maryland, the prices, guide fees, $/hunter, $/2 hunters, game processing fees, etc. If you want, I can email it to you.

At any rate, good luck. You are more than welcome to come along with me if you like. Cant make any guarantees as I am learning as well.

G
#23 ·
Sam, I'm also from Bergen County ( Lodi ), I went bird hunting once when I 1st got my license 25 yrs ago at the age of 10, then I did my 1st deer hunt that same year with a shotgun, and never looked back, deer hunting is around a year sport for. So if you like to know more about it deer hunting and your near Lodi let me know, email me at: BowhunterCop@NewJerseyHunter.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.