New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I am new to hunting and nobody in my family hunts. I was just looking for some tips. I love close to zone 19 and was thinking about hunting either Medford WMA or parts of Wharton. I'm not looking to take anyone's spots or anything like that. By the way I am a larger guy and will be using a ground blind if that makes a difference. Not looking to fall from a tree.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I was just like you 4 yrs ago getting started. I don't live anywhere near you but Im sure someone will help you. My first time out was in a blind with a NJH. Didn't see shit but it was good to get out and learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
8,451 Posts
Ground blind is gonna be tough in the pines them deer are really skittish and have a wiffer sniffer you couldn't imagine but you came to the right site we have lawyers cops judges disc jockeys radio broadcasters politicians etc

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Ground blind is gonna be tough in the pines them deer are really skittish and have a wiffer sniffer you couldn't imagine but you came to the right site we have lawyers cops judges disc jockeys radio broadcasters politicians etc
Don't forget our panel of experts in the deer management. We can tell you how many 100 lb bags of corn it takes to bring in that trophy buck, which Rage broadhead is best for you, and the ability to judge your deer within an inch from a crappy trail cam pic. We can advise you on what to do after your equipment has been stolen, what the best course of action for you to take. If someone gets too close to your piece of state ground, we can tell you how to deal with them. This information is priceless.You cant get this info anywhere else. Also if your looking for a good yard sale or over priced junk to buy, this is the place for you. Welcome to the site.:beer:

·
Registered
855 Posts
Im hunting those areas this year so can put you on the right path if you like.i know medfordguy was hitting the medford wma maybe message him and team up there.

·
Banned
8,451 Posts
On a serious note invest into cheap ladder stands or buy a climber...there's many places out in the pines to hunt you got to scout alot and have a few places though...your not gonna pattern pine deer either they go and come as they please and they never use the same runs..

·
Registered
855 Posts
For pineys id use climber and stalking as like smoking gun said their hard to pattern.

·
Banned
8,451 Posts
To the original poster if your interested pm me idc I'm gonna get some hunts In Wharton this year i know them woods well I got alot of different spots I hunt there's plenty of room I hardly see anyone out there during bow season I pretty much have it all to myself I don't mind hunting with anyone as long as your not light in the loafers a lawbreaker or convict who's on the loose because then we have problems and I have a big mouth I don't hold nothing back I'll let you know how I feel real quick .my dad and brother don't hunt anymore well my dad says he's going to hunt he's 70 or 71 and just drinks beer and bitches about my bum brother and my idiot sister and btw that old fart isn't hunting with me

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Just realize in the beginning it's a long hunting curve. You might get lucky right away or it may take you a year or so to drop your first deer. But you will see, the first encounter you get your heart will be racing and you'll be hooked for life. It's a great addictive sport, just gotta get some miles under those boots. You have some great guys here but everyone likes to bust balls. Keep thick skin on this site and don't let some of these guys get to you, but for the most part people here are great.

Few quick thoughts to throw your way.

Ground blinds work but tree stands I believe are always better, in due time you'll get used to them, just follow any safety precautions. Safety harnesses are a must to be safe.

State land is great, just need to find the right places. Gets hunted heavy but there are spots off the beaten path that will be untouched. Your job is to find them (with time). Keep in mind mature deer will pattern hunters as we also try to pattern deer. I think deer have it easier! Things like parking in the same spot, over hunting a stand, walking through a bedding area to get to your stand, etc. So keep this in mind when you find other spots people are huntin.

When you find a spot on state land just remember it's not yours, another hunter may hunt there, sucks but everyone has the same rights.

State land items left on state land may go missing, tree stands trail cams ground blinds etc. Antis will take them, but I think it's mostly scum bag hunters, who want the property to themselves and are trying to "claim it" or just want it for themselves.

Practice with your equipment all through the year, even rain gear. This is especially true when bow hunting. You don't want to get out of shape or out of form when the moment of truth does come.

In the beginning until you learn more, I always just looked for active deer sign. Droppings, tracks, scrapes, rubs, browse you can see being eaten. Set up accordingly. Deer patterns always change, if you notice this week deer are hitting a small patch of acorns hard, set up that oak flat.

Practice scent control. Do more research on this on
ways to try to be scent free. You will never be scent free so you need to hunt the wind. That means keep the wind in your face so that the wind isn't blowing your scent to the deer, but actually away from the deer.

Most importantly, have fun, there's lots to learn and a lot of people to learn from. Every one of us learns new stuff every year. Just keep at it and you'll get a lifetime of enjoyment.

·
Banned
8,451 Posts
You forgot to tell him don't get caught up on fake hunting on TV and dvds it's no where near that in jersey don't expect a 200 inch buck with that blonde girl with the closet queen husband from Iowa

·
Registered
285 Posts
I wish I could have had a resource like NJH when I started hunting 30 yrs ago.
My first bowhunt was up at camp No Be Bosco (sp) with guys doing drives and one guy yelling " a buck and a doe", "a buck and a doe" through the woods.
It's something I'll never forget. Never hunted with them again. I had to learn on my own

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
This is only my second season hunting but I have a great group of friends and the people on here who have helped me along the way. I only hunt in Wharton and have spent ALOT of my spare time walking the woods in the summer and winter. I don't live far either. PM me if you need a hand.

·
Banned
8,451 Posts
Go ahead and pm me your cell number I won't get out in the woods down there til maybe the middle of this month maybe next weekend the patterns will change some by then we can go scout for some acorns I know where there's stockpiles usually with scrub Oaks close by that's where them deer bed in the scrub Oaks you'll never see them in there either just their beadie eyes

·
Banned
8,451 Posts
I'll get you in some deer but your gonna have to endure a little goofiness I don't take hunting serious anymore I just go and still down brown it's not rocket science don't get caught up in the market world of hunting you'll be broke and frustrated just do it and have fun doing it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts